AC Hotel Raleigh Downtown

Does anyone know if The Willard will still have the condos in them? I imagine the east-facing units will have a great view.

1 Like

I hope this is habbening. I don’t know why I get so excited over a ~7 story building. We’re about at a point where there’ll be no cranes in the sky as everything’s wrapping up. #NeedMoarNewStuff

3 Likes

Personally I’m excited because it activates a dead zone and connects it to the One Glenwood/MSF area. And I like the style, and am hoping for a rooftop bar like the one in North Hills

5 Likes

Got my haircut in that building for years (in that window with the 21 next to it). Sad to see it go, but excited for the growth

It is my understanding that the condos are gone and it is all a hotel. That was the revision in their submittal. I could be wrong however.

Everyone needs to understand that site plan approval is taking forever at this point and that is what is delaying some of these projects. Developers don’t want to pay for complete construction documents until they know they can build what is submitted. So, a project may look dead, but it is just hung up in site plan approval purgatory. It’s just taking tme.

3 Likes

Do you know why site plan approval is taking so long?

I’ve heard there’s a lot of turnover, with heavy workload.

Also the sooner this is built the sooner we can gather a group of people together to act out the craziness going on in the rendering.

5 Likes

@KenAA will be all over that.

2 Likes

I speculate that they do not have enough staff for all of the submittals.

Maybe with all the scooter fees they could hire someone else lol

3 Likes

Willard demo fence is up now. FWIW I figured out the names of those apartments after some research. The Irene Apartments are the white row houses and the Hart Apartments are the red brick closest to Glenwood. Built in 1922 and 1924 respectively.

7 Likes

Just shy of 100 years old, and seems to be in great shape. I love the growth and new development as much as anyone on here, but with SO MANY empty surface parking lots, decrepit parking decks, and newer (70s-90s) ugly brutalist structures in this city that could be razed and redeveloped, it pains me when something that old and charming is torn down instead.

5 Likes

The fences have been up for at least a month. I got excited when I saw them but nothing has happened. Do they not even have the demolition permits yet? This section is an ugly dead zone in my opinion, and I really want to see some movement on this project.

1 Like

@nipper.dwight, know if there are any demo permits in queue or approved?

I’ve learned that the mere sight of fences going up is pretty much meaningless. (Gestures lackadaisically at the pit that has been on South St for 3 years)

2 Likes

Interesting point, i guess some rental fence company is killing it on South St.

3 Likes

Could there be asbestos abatement doing on inside??

I always hate to see old residential buildings turned into small office spaces like these were. I know the times dictate the uses, but going from residential to these 9-5 uses always seems to be a step back and ultimately death knell. Once the porches were enclosed and the front stairs covered over (creating the dead zone feel), it was pretty well established that this would never be the active residential neighborhood it had always been. Imagine having a lunch counter across the street (what was in the Gensler space), and the Trolley run right past your front door and rows of huge mansions across the Hillsborough St. Pretty decent life.

5 Likes