Things To Do in Downtown Raleigh

I feel the same way about shopping as I do about dining. I don’t want a bunch of :moneybag: :moneybag: :moneybag: :star: :star: :star: :star: :star: restaurants and don’t want downtown filled with expensive stores or luxury shopping. That can go to North Hills for all that I care. I want businesses that are going to focus on serving the residents that are walking distance to them.

12 Likes

Well I disagree on the demographics in this area doesn’t fit well with supporting ultra high end stores like Gucci or whatever. The median income in Raleigh is 35,925, the household income is 67,266. In the Raleigh-metro the 95th percentile 225.4K that 342%. That really good, the younger folks yes the college loans getting into the workforce but they will gradually know how to stretch that dollar. So we do have the clientele. Gucci stores and Louis Vittion aren’t status symbols but help us attract billionaires and pro-sports team cause the billionaires chase the money. Because there’s a richer fan base that why MLS came to you know where because of millennials, money, and median income and some other things Raleigh hadn’t got it act together. So not really status symbol but are attractive assets.

So our household income is easily 3x that and I still don’t want to buy Gucci bags or Armani suits to show a stranger that I’m comfortably living. Why is that a thing you want for our area? That is what I fundamentally don’t understand from you. This isn’t a personal attack, you’re living here too and have just as much right to an opinion. I just don’t get who we’re supposed to be impressing

4 Likes

Well I we just had that gucci store then MLS would have picked us of Charlotte - duhh

2 Likes

If the women’s prison and wake correctional center are ever moved we could get a zoo there. Maybe not the best use of the land and the NC zoo is already great, but it’s an interesting idea to me. Lots of interesting things could be done with a parcel that huge.

2 Likes

This is what City Market should be.

24 Likes

Oh yeah, good point. That place that is already perfect for this…except that useless owner! Maybe the city could work to buy him out if they wanted to get serious about having this kind of space.

8 Likes

People coming in from New York or LA must want to be bored. Or there’s nothing to do in LA / NY

4 Likes

Well maybe not you but you might be in the minority with that point of view, but I know you’re in the minority, I know a lot of people who will spend that kind of money. And you admitting you have 3x that income proves we have the income and clientele you may not want to buy but other would. I want it in our area because it could expand our shopping palete, and broaden the chol thing scene here and I’ll give us a nice image.

There could be nightclubs here and luxury stores and apartments. I don’t find huts being wedding spots attractive.

If there were clubs, apts and gucci stores everywhere where would people eat?

1 Like

I think there’s eatery all across downtown, Aldi there be one Gucci store there one only in the other nc city. Only really big metropolitan areas have more than one.

I think that they really just came for the pollen. :sneezing_face: :yellow_square:

1 Like

I grabbed lunch from Sam Jones on Saturday, and the group in front of me in line were from New York visiting for Dreamville. Between the four of them, they ordered virtually the entire menu — extra helpings to take back to their hotel and/or give to friends. I didn’t catch the total bill but it had to have been a couple hundred bucks. You’d have thought Eastern-style BBQ was the new caviar.

14 Likes

Scored a free ticket to Dreameville. It was large and loud

More observations:

• We should definitely have more festivals here throughout the summer. Somebody phone Peter Shapiro
  • There is probably a TON of trash to pickup today
  • Access is interesting. They had Centennial blocked off from Lake Wheeler except for shuttles, police, etc. It seems to me that Centennial is a large enough median divided boulevard to serve as a main access artery for drop-off/pick-up. They were essentially doing this with shuttles, and it seemed to be working fine, but I had a friend drop off / pick up, and it was challenging.
20 Likes

Could hear it from Five Points last night.

2 Likes

Funny you mention that, there is an absolute shit storm on Nextdoor about the volume level and how far away people could hear the concert. Someone 7 miles away could hear the festival, I could hear word for word which song was being played from my house roughly 1 mile where the crow flies.

These pictures are cool too (Not mine)

14 Likes

Haha gotta love nextdoor… WAH A GLOBAL SUPERSTAR FROM FAYETTEVILLE WHO MADE IT DESPITE HUMBLE BEGINNINGS, REINVESTING IN OUR COMMUNITY WITH A MASSIVE EVENT IS TOO LOUD

17 Likes

I could hear it well, even from inside our condo if I didn’t have my own music playing.
I think we need more festivals at Dix.
:sunglasses:

17 Likes

I would just die of we had a little Wakarusa or Lock’n hippy fest at Dix. Catch me out there barefoot in tie-dye.

2 Likes