Treasuring Chris Church Rezoning - 554 East Hargett St (Abode at Hargett)

Going off speculation alone since no plans have been submitted, but to get the ROI, I would expect to see something similar to Hargett Place down the street. I don’t hear too many people getting upset with these units, and the missed opportunity with these being 1 block off Moore Square.

11 Likes

But these weren’t developed in 2022.
I thought that we were supposed to develop with the BRT in mind on the east side of downtown? This sort of suburban density isn’t going to cut it.
If a parcel this size on the west side of downtown was getting this low density solution, we’d be losing our minds over it.

2 Likes

Hargett Place is 17 units on 1 acre. I’d be okay with that density. Or just as many townhomes as possible on this site.

Aren’t the townhouses going up around South Street pretty much the exact equivalent of this? People seem ok with those.

In the warehouse district you would be correct, but in the immediate SFH residential areas west(similar to this site) there are a couple west of downtown. Also this would almost never get approved in Boylan Heights.

1 Like

To be fair, a rather large mixed use project is under construction right next to Boylan Heights after folks here in the forum were calling for 20 story towers and found themselves very angry at Boylan Heights resistance to it. We call the 7 story project a disappointment because it isn’t more substantial, even though it has 430 apartments.
FWIW, I don’t live in Boylan Hts or that immediate area, so my comments aren’t coming from a personal place.

2 Likes

No more playground.

9 Likes

I am sorry the kids lost a playground, but excited to see a new development taking shape.

1 Like

Yeah, agreed. I wouldn’t call R-10 suburban zoning, and every big city is going to have some neighborhoods of that density (although not necessarily that close to skyscrapers in the CBD). That’s a density that’s still compatible with offering high-quality public transit, and it adds a lot more density to this block–assuming they build out to the full 22 units here.

2 Likes

@dtraleigh
Truly love the picture! :+1: :innocent:
But it looks as if a small version of the Eiffel tower is sitting on a magic carpet temporarily on top of the PNC building… :joy: :rofl: :wink:

3 Likes

That’s the sorting hat from Harry Potter. Is PNC a Slytherin or a Hufflepuff?

3 Likes

Now it’s a playground for a developer.

3 Likes

Hey Leo - saw the empty lot yesterday and looked it up and found this: PCCP, Abode to Develop Three Built-to-Rent Residential Communities Near Downtown Raleigh - REBusinessOnline

Built-to-rent is the new thing, I guess.

14 Likes

Hargett, Courtland and N State…pretty solid locations for renting new homes.
Blending in townhomes w/ SFH will goose infill density a touch.
Not breaking any models but they’ll lease all they build I wager.
Think they have some things in play in other Wake towns - FQV for instance…

1 Like

Demolition and site work appears complete. Have they released plans for this yet, I keep forgetting.

5 Likes

I walk by it almost daily and am wondering the same thing. No idea what’s happening here. I can only assume more SFH homes. :disappointed:

1 Like

They have a permit box, there should be plans in there if anyone is brave enough to open it!

Actually, I missed the previous post by @theonelhilary. After searching, I found this.

ABODE on Hargett
554 E Hargett Street
Raleigh, NC
26 Single Family Homes

As Raleigh continues to experience robust population growth, we’ve had the opportunity to design and craft a premier rental offering in the heart of Downtown Raleigh. Additionally, each home will feature ABODE’s intentionally-curated, renter-friendly design package comprised of a custom color palette, upgraded finishes, and washer/dryer among other additions.

Anyone familiar with how this works? This is hugely disappointing. (but hey, you get a washer/dryer, yippee. :neutral_face:)

3 Likes

Basically detached apartments. That market is booming right now.

1 Like

Damn, waiting to be really disappointed until we know the density but at least on first glance that seems like a big bummer.

1 Like