Trophy Brewing expansion on Morgan Street

100% with you. One of them can be a bar, fine. But I’d love to see some unique retail concepts in at least 2 of them!!!

Fun fact: the houses that currently make up Cornerstone used to be edgy/independent retail.

2 Likes

Not to be a total buzzkill, but the foot traffic on that curve of Morgan has to be close to nil.

Funnily enough, the dreaded Goodnights replacement should actually be a huge help for that.

7 Likes

The Trophy group (or one of its leaders) is also taking over Irregardless right?

They bought the building. That happened a bit ago. They’re now remodeling the building or at least the exterior, adding solar, etc. Similar to Trophy on Morgan from what I can tell.

2 Likes

A couple interesting things I found here in another Ral Magazine article they posted recently. The development is loosely called ‘The Bend.’

Now, down Morgan Street, Meeker’s other project —on “the bend” between Irregardless and Trophy Brewing + Pizza, where he bought three houses from a local business owner—will breathe new life into the otherwise arguably undeveloped strip that bridges Downtown to the Hillsborough Street Corridor and Village District. “I didn’t want them to get bought up by someone who was going to build a tower [there],” he says.

Dubbed The Bend, the trio of concepts—slated to bow in fall 2023—will be connected via an almost boardwalk-like shared front porch, so you can traipse back and forth between what Meeker envisions as a coffee shop, wine shop and neighborhood bar—each of which he hopes will be in partnership with established local concepts. The Bend will also include an outdoor area with tables, and a potential shipping container bar and semipermanent food truck.

Another interesting tidbit was an update on their SoHi project. Thought that one was dead but looks like they’re aiming for 2024 with that one.

22 Likes

Oh boy he “saved” us from a tower. In a distinctly underused and undertrafficked part of downtown. Quelle horreur!

That said, those houses are cute, and the concept is fun. I hope it works.

9 Likes

Seems like this’ll have a lot of foot traffic with all the residents going in the future Goodnights spot.

2 Likes

Love this concept. Will add a unique experience to DT. Meeker brings up a good point, you need spaces like this amongst the taller buildings to engage foot traffic and of course, keep raleighs personality infused.

I believe for the SoHi permit they have to break ground by Feb 2023. I had word they’ve been trying to break ground ASAP but financially it may work out better for the delayed opening of 2024 when DTS will also be opening its first concepts.

11 Likes

3 posts were merged into an existing topic: “SoHi” and Developments Along South Wilmington (South DTR)

Well at least we can point to projects like this when people try to make the argument that it doesn’t make financial sense to keep these old buildings.

4 Likes

Yeah, I was kind of like…who wants a tower blocking that view of the prison or the generic apartments being built over Goodnights? Thank god you saved us! LOL

But this actually sounds pretty cool. My concern with repurposing the existing 3 houses was that they’d be too disconnected to sustain much, but this should work nicely. I feel like almost everything the Trophy people touch works out, and then they keep improving.

15 Likes

It’ll all work out when the prison is replaced by my master stitch plan! Haha

11 Likes

Yea I’m starting to hear more info on this, but they haven’t sent out requests for bids from GC’s yet.
Hopefully I can get my hands on a copy and share it.

2 Likes

I agree, the view of the prison is rather nice.

I think the prison just need a rebranding and mural on the side. Something like the state home for the unfortunately incarcerated.

7 Likes

We’re not like those other prisons - we’re a fun prison

A little more info on the project

https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2022/04/06/trophy-brewing-meeke-new-raleigh-food-concept.html

“An agreement has not yet been made for a company to run the planned establishments, but Meeker said talks are in progress with a local group that would run all three spots. Once a deal is in place, Carpenter Development will renovate the houses to match the group’s plans.”

“Meeker is aiming to keep the exteriors of the 1,500-square-foot homes looking as original as possible. The front of the houses will share a connected porch. On the interior, all plumbing, electrical and mechanical aspects will be updated along with the ceilings being vaulted. In the back, a patio with seating will be added along with a fenced-in space for children to play.”

“The Goodnights project was a factor in Carpenter Development’s decision to buy the houses, Meeker said. The plan to add hundreds of apartments within walking distance increased the lot’s appeal. Meeker also has a relationship with the apartment project’s developer, Raleigh-based HM Partners, and plans to coordinate with the firm on a few things.”

“The three concepts are planned to open in fall 2023, Meeker said. His goal is to connect his two properties, Trophy Brewing & Pizza and Irregardless Café. Meeker, along with Lee Robinson, bought longtime Raleigh restaurant Irregardless Cafe in 2020. No additional parking is planned with the project.”

27 Likes

Sure does look like a “Cornerstone” copycat to me.

1 Like

Except it is not the same cheeseball ownership……so it will be noticeably different

10 Likes