Bloc 83 - One Glenwood, Two Hillsborough, and Phase 3

It won’t be just a parking garage, right?

I think that is the hope. It would be disappointing otherwise.

1 Like

Even with retail on the ground floor, I don’t think I can stomach another un-screened parking garage. Especially not in this part of town, especially not after the travesty of Citrix’s deck. Quick, Raleigh, get rid of parking minimums downtown and make this parking deck unnecessary.

This developer did partly screen their other deck with a hotel (and may screen more of it with a future phase) but the name of this project as submitted does not bode well.

Now it’s time for some math! Hooray!

Figure that parking decks are roughly 350 square feet per space including circulation. 487 spaces (the stated requirement by code for Two Hillsborough) at that rate would be about 170ksf. The submission is for 267ksf leaving 97ksf unaccounted for. That would be enough to work with in order to screen the deck, even possibly on two sides (east and north), but then the screen building shrinks and the parking grows because the screen building itself has to be parked. The L building downtown for example is 100ksf. But it had to screen a much larger deck. So, in other words, there is a chance.

The proposed lot is .82 acres.

First, that means it is the service station at 701 Hillsborough at .43 acres, AND the 1874 vintage brick Victorian house turned office building at .39 acres next door. Could they be convinced to move the house, I wonder? If so, where?

Second, at 94% lot coverage, that makes 8 stories total. But the lot is zoned for 7 stories max. This may mean something like a 9 story parking deck with a 7 story screen building, with the same height. Even if the north and east sides are screened with a building, that still leaves a big honkin’ parking deck towering over the historic apartment building at 700 Morgan.

6 Likes

NC State has the architecture program, UNC doesn’t. Any wonder? :wink:

2 Likes

@John. Is that your explanation why Raleigh has no architecturally interesting or significant buildings being built?

Not sure exactly. I’m following the city’s open data portal (more on that soon) which in theory is the first time its published. Typically the site plan itself, the pdf file, follows a few days later.

Given the location, that is pretty prime real-estate. It could be ground floor retail with another hotel, or apartments.

https://www.raleighnc.gov/content/PlanDev/Documents/DevServ/DevPlans/Reviews/2018/SiteReview/SR-100-18.pdf

Looks like 1 floor of retail and a 90’ tall parking garage…

The city should come back and offer more height (cx-12?) or a reduction of parking minimums in exchange for this not being a mere parking deck with retail.

I just Hate the idea of a huge parking deck like this facing Hillsborough. With this and Citrix, this neighborhood is going to be known as the parking deck district.

1 Like

These renderings are pure eye candy, but sometimes you’ve got to look past the digital marketing too… This project isn’t going to have a crowd of activity at its entry, a vibrant sunset reflected in its windows, and market lights strung across the courtyard all the time. The architecture itself is actually pretty standard, nothing special, especially for Gensler’s portfolio. At least the proportions are decent – it looks like a more refined version of its brother next door.

2 Likes

Can they not build the deck underground?? I also hope there’s a way to save that old house.

Could be worse I guess… Can’t add too much retail because then you have to add more parking… the parking minimums really need to be rethought.

Looks like there are not plans to align North and South Boylan or at least ease the transition between the two. Seems like that would be a good spot for a roundabout.

In other Boylan news, received a notice yesterday that they are looking to remove all of the stoplights on South Boylan Ave from South Street up through the bridge.

1 Like

It’s probably because of the developers that are UNC MBAs. :rofl:

3 Likes

Well at least we have a nice central park in the future…that will have parking in the center of it…nevermind.

2 Likes

The developer, Ryan Blair, is actually an NC State undergrad and Duke MBA.

1 Like

Yeah, but we like actually like this new building and the courtyard. My joke was about other buildings.
Also, I know rgmedd, and this was just friendly banter between us. No harm.

Voting out the current city council will be your best bet.

4 Likes

Haha yeah I knew y’all were joking around. I just thought it was interesting that the developer does have local ties.

2 Likes

it’s good to have developers who have some emotional skin in the game.

2 Likes

693 spots.

They are going to be attaching something to this. Their requirement is for 487.

2 Likes