Affordable Housing and Housing Affordability

I wanted to branch off from the rezoning thread starting from here.

@paytonc, I agree with you 100% but I kept thinking about that “who gets to live here?” question. Surely it comes from a desire for affordable housing on this very spot (Gale Street) I feel like the answer is that, as a result of our competitive, capitalistic society, those with money get to live where they want. It’s not a comfortable answer to some people but that’s America for you.

I feel a better question would be “who gets to access downtown Raleigh?” and that is the realm that I think civic advocates and leaders (council) can actually make a more impactful difference. As far as access goes, we’re talking about mobility. That means transit to me and fortunately 99% of our streets are managed by the city or state. If they want to be more equitable, it goes more than just connecting streets so that cars can get there eventually.

Yes, Affordable housing is needed but other people just need to bring their household costs down. Alternatives to driving and access to more parts of the city most likely will open up opportunities to others.

(note: this thought is a work in process :thinking: )

13 Likes