Affordable Housing and Housing Affordability

Another point that I keep forgetting to make: all of us tend to focus on the new buildings, because animal brains are wired to notice what’s new and different.

But new houses are only ~1% of all houses. (This is broadly true nationally, and even in Raleigh: 2022 ACS says there were 225,320 housing units in Raleigh, and Raleigh issued building permits for 1,756 new units in 2023, so in 2024 only 0.8% of housing units in Raleigh are <1 year old.) So really, when we talk about overall housing prices, we should broaden our focus from new construction.

And the good news there is that there’s a broad consensus among researchers that new housing construction lowers prices across the market.

6 Likes

“The ability of new supply to dampen rent growth… is rather a trend that we observe in many markets. Raleigh, NC [metro] had both the second highest rate of multifamily permits-per-capita issued in 2023 and currently has the second sharpest year-over-year rent decline as of our latest estimates.”

Note that Raleigh has since dropped from #2 to #10 in permits per capita from 2023 to 2024 (Jan-Apr). Austin has kept its #1 rank.

4 Likes

Former North Hills hotel converted to one-bedroom apartments i was in raleigh a few weeks ago and saw this. is this real…and doing well? the website claims " * Upgraded Induction Cook Tops with High-End Microwave/Oven Combo in Each Apartment" rents starting at 999usd.

2 Likes

While I’m surprised that didn’t reopen as a different hotel, gotta say that’s a good reuse of the building. The prices for that size are not what I’d consider affordable. (Maybe if they were downtown, but north of 440? Hmmm. At least there’s amenities.) But hey, I bet they’ll get leased sooner than later.

2 Likes

I could never lmao. Especially for a full rack every month. At that price point, just pony up the few extra hundo for … not a hotel room lol

This would be so cool if they were like $750/mo MAX.

1 Like

I can assume most people on this board are well off, so you cant relate. Poverty is real for most Americans.

I don’t think you’re understanding my comment…. That was my exact point dude. $999/mo is not affordable for literally a hotel room with a fold-out stovetop (???) to cook with. The people that can afford $1000/mo on their own will pony up the extra couple hundred to live in an actual apartment.

I literally said this would be a lot cooler if they were $750/mo MAX. What are you misreading from my comment?

EDIT: also before you get on a high horse- I am not well off in the slightest. I am speaking from a pretty average-American perspective FYI.

4 Likes

:man_shrugging:t4:

4 Likes

My 25 year old nephew, grew up and lives in DC/MD, visited Raleigh over the fourth, loved it. Easy to get around (car, unfortunately), and cheap. LOTS of people his age. His yoga instructor relocated from MD, said the same thing - so much easier to live here than DC.
A slowdown in apartment building, because of oversupply and increased competition, will result in rents declining and amenities increasing :+1:t3:. Demand is there, and eventual scarcity will drive rent back up, and dormant apartment projects will recommence.
During the interlude, hotels, and condos are needed - condos for boomers wanting a city vibe :sunglasses:

3 Likes

after a recent trip thru Minneapolis, madison, Milwaukee, Detroit and several small north-midwestern towns…i agree. and I have read WI and Minneapolis get high ranks

It looks like the city of San Francisco may be looking to ban RealPage which basically is how some apartments set their rent. In general this has been mentioned as a cause that housing prices are high since multiple apartment complexes agree to set specific prices.

I’m interested to see when and how this plays out for San Francisco, but wonder what RealPage’s influence in Raleigh is.

I mentioned RealPage also here as well as it led to an FBI raid. City Gateway - Mira Apartments and more (Gateway Southeast) - #270 by wanderer

4 Likes