Apple coming to RTP/Raleigh?

On the one hand I am glad that we are not exactly Durham, it’s nice to have options within the same metro. But on the other hand I totally get what you’re saying with the nonsense about ADUs and scooters and such.

3 Likes

The plot thickens!!!

https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2018/12/28/exclusive-plot-thickens-as-281-acre-rtp-land-eyed.html?ana=e_du_prem&s=article_du&ed=2018-12-28&u=pvQeC8lFrJLG3fpe21j8SA0237e263&t=1546034017&j=85753361

6 Likes

Very interesting! Maybe Apple has something up their sleeve afterall?

2 Likes

Just a tiny snip:

Dec 28, 2018
A swath of undeveloped land in Research Triangle Park that Apple had been targeting for a new campus has sold to a business entity with few details about who is behind it.

The property acquisition totals 281 acres on the Wake County side of RTP. The buyer, a company called Acute Investments LLC, is registered to lobby for Apple in the state through the end of the year.

3 Likes

We should change the name of this specific thread to “Bobbing for Apple/s” :rofl:

7 Likes

It also says RTF gave the buyer ten years before they must start construction (instead of the usual four) and four after that until they must be open for business (instead of the usual two) so I’m not holding my breath for any sort of announcement in the short term.

3 Likes

the name of the thread should be Apple NOT coming to RTP/Raleigh…now what !!

Except they still might be

5 Likes

Kind of difficult to get a grasp on exactly what is happening, but at least it is still a possibility…

3 Likes

The article is a little confusing. I think we just have to sit back and see if anything happens.

4 Likes

Maybe just a little 500 person engineering center is coming. The Triangle is a major leader in gaming and virtual reality. Maybe Apple is interested plugging into that…

4 Likes

I have only heard that they are really interested in the Triangle for customer support.

2 Likes

I am thinking that this may end up being something more like the Amazon facility in Garner?

1 Like

A fulfillment center type operation does not conform to the mission of RTP & its requirements. There’s no way that it becomes anything like that center in Garner.

2 Likes

You’re probably right. However, isn’t the powers that be in RTP trying to remake it into something new?

2 Likes

I think that they are interested in more mixed use, not light industrial.

3 Likes

My motto is…seeing is beliving when is comes to companies coming to the Triangle/RTP. and when I see or hear of a major anouncement that APPLE coming to Raleigh/RTP , then I will be happy.

3 Likes

http://www.best-cities.org/2018/best-performing-cities-report-2018.pdf

Raleigh dropped from #2 to #6 on the list by theMilken Institute which is still excellent. As Liability was noted:

• Political decisions at the state level regarding the LGBT community are
causing some companies to cancel investment plans or select sites
outside of North Carolina altogether.

It is important to keep in mind how NC is perceived from the outside. I know we don’t want to discuss politics in here but awareness is the first step for improvement :slight_smile:

7 Likes

What we do legislatively matters, especially when the South already faces an uphill battle when it comes to how it’s perceived. like it or not, but the South comes with baggage that many are looking to validate and perpetuate that narrative. This is regardless of wide social variation that exists across the South and in the state.
While I don’t read the Milken report as perpetuating that narrative, I think that they fairly identify negative business winds that Raleigh faces because of real/perceived socially regressive action taken politically at the state level.

3 Likes

I completely agree with you. Correct assumptions or not, the assumptions outside companies are making affect what gets built here. Our state needs to be actively working to change the perceptions if we want these companies to actually pick us. A robust public transit system like Boston isn’t going to be an easy task. Not making discriminatory laws like the marriage amendment or HB2 isn’t that difficult.

5 Likes