Apple coming to RTP/Raleigh?

Not so far as any of us know. They very well may be waiting around to see the results of the election . . .

1 Like

Or waiting on Amazon to make up their mind, maybe

1 Like

Will someone please blink?
It’s kind of like when I was one of the 10,000 Nortel Networks employees waiting to get the axe back in the day. Sadly that day came, but damn I sure felt better afterwards. Unemployed yes, but without the stress of waiting and wondering…Lol :blush:

2 Likes

Amazon isn’t coming here. It was a 5% chance at best. The Republican legislature gerrymandered the districts so theyre not going anywhere. I think a company as smart as Apple should be able to figure this out. What are they waiting for? Unless either company was coming to downtown Raleigh, I don’t really care about them. More traffic out in Cary and RTP and Morrisville, whoopie!

3 Likes

Agreed, I thought Apple had already picked a site in SW Wake just inside of RTP. So Apex will boom, but I don’t think it will really do anything fro DTR.

The way Apple would put RTP/Raleigh/Durham on the map would be astronomical. It would rapidly accelerate growth in the area. Plus we would likely get regional HQs from companies that work with Apple.

It would be big news for DT Raleigh for that reason alone. Look at DT Austin, and how much it has grown. Apple is one of the contributing factors to that, and they are not in DT.

6 Likes

Very true. Even aside from that, a lot of larger residential towers would go up in DT simply for the high paid employees that want an urban lifestyle. Would increase that for DT Durham too.

5 Likes

Apple went radio silent after the ‘rumor mill’ spun up. My fear is the GOP will F this completely up with some nonsense HB2 like stupid bill. That is the word on the street as to why everything went quiet and we’ve heard nothing for months. There’s a concern among Apple execs that our backwards ass legislature will pull something insane. They basically don’t trust our government…comforting

1 Like

Except, Tim Cook knew all about that, before they started looking here. Tim Cook is a Duke alumni and loves the area. He wants Apple here. Don’t believe the stories that are filling in the gaps after the news went quite. Apple has always been radio silent through this whole process.

5 Likes

These aren’t ‘rumors’ I stated. These are real concerns validated by 2 individuals that have been parties to the discussions. Tim Cook only attended Duke, an isolated island in Durham. He has NO ties to North Carolina otherwise. And while yes, he may have known our legislature was a bunch of backwoods bafoons, given HB2 (and others), the issue is a fear that the legislature will wait until Apple commits and then put forward some stupid legislation like an HB2, another discriminatory Voter ID bill (just look at the 'constitutional amendments) or reneg on some of their commitments. They DO NOT trust this legislature…can you blame them?

Plus, it’s not like Tim Cook is the absolute supreme dictator of Apple; that’s not how companies work.

Apple’s Board of Directors and other leadership people are treated just as importantly, I’d think. Even if Cook is knowingly fine with steering their ship towards NC despite how the Republicans, there’s probably other key players involved who are putting on the brakes.

In any case, a state government that’s two-timing and is giving out tax incentives while acting untrustworthy is a red flag (just put yourself in the Apple board’s shoes?). It’s at least a cause for pause and concern… and I’m glad it seems like Apple, at least, is being a reasonable actor.

2 Likes

If their concern is possible future legislation, why would Apple even consider locating here?

Obviously, it isn’t stopping dozens from other companies from locating here.

It just seems a little silly to me that when the area loses out on a project that EVERY single city in the US is fighting for that the big bad legislature is the ONLY reason they choose not to come (to some), even when we are in the final cut. Yet, when the area wins such battles, they get Zero credit.

6 Likes

The site is at the intersection of Davis Drive and 540, just south of Cisco. It’s also adjacent to Morrisville and west Cary.

I feel like Spring Hill is just perfect for Apple, but I’m not Apple. I was thinking that they were waiting until after the election so they wouldn’t be used in campaign ads.

4 Likes

I agree, Spring Hill would be a fantastic spot for Apple! Anything that keeps Sprawleigh (and Durham) from sprawling out to RTP anymore that it already is.

I agree. it’s a much better choice than the southern RTP location that they appear to be considering. While Apple has proven through their previous campus work, they are internally focused, rather than externally (community) focused. That location is isolated enough that they could retain that part of the culture, while putting their employees in the city where more of the young talent prefers to be.

I think Amazon was also interested in the Spring Hill site. It’s over 100 acres which would be enough room for them.

4 Likes

Now this is going to be interesting.

Amazon soon to be decided. Let’s assume at least half of the HQ2 in NOVA. Apple took a closer look into both RTP and NOVA and likely waited on amazon’s decision and/or mid terms (to see what happens and to not let politics claim relocation as their win).
Midterms are over - concerns of Apple were the GOP meddling with the constitution. 2 of the ballots were rejected to strip away power from Governor. Voter ID however approved which creates some bad publicity if they announce right after midterms.

Fingers crossed this is going to happen

1 Like

Agreed, the Amazon NOVA announcement and the downfall of the supermajority seem to bode well for an Apple announcement (assuming they really were concerned about the legislature).

2 Likes

I think we could really use Apple in light of the Red Hat uncertainty.