Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) in Raleigh

You’d have to convince two powerful, unwilling actors who don’t care about Wake County’s local mobility needs to change their minds:

1. Durham County’s residents are struggling to get by with their own local mobility needs, and can’t spare additional money (see here)

2. The rail company Norfolk Southern doesn’t want to -and they effectively have veto power over what trains can run along the Cary-Durham corridor

I think the Davis Dr. alignment is closer to that feeder-like service that you’re talking about, which is kind of why I prefer that over the NC54 alignment. It’s not perfect, but between that and the Cary-Apex BRT proposal in our region’s long-range transit plan (don’t forget to change the visible layers on the top right menu), I think we have the opportunity for making great, lasting changes to getting around Cary and Morrisville. While it’s clearly not great, I think there’s valid reasons to at least take the NC54-based route seriously as a stepping stone to reach a greater vision.

As a reminder, you can tell CAMPO about these thoughts, too, and that will actually be read by someone with power to inform and influence decision-makers (read: regional planners).

2 Likes