Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) in Raleigh

10ft sidewalks are IMO the bare minimum of what we should be building anywhere. Bike facilities would be another 6-8 feet on top of that.

Perhaps so, but I always cringe whenever I see one alongside a particular new subdivision in Cary, because it doesn’t connect to any other bike facilities or even sidewalks, and there’s no reason why anyone would ever use it. New Bern Ave. is definitely a different environment, but aren’t there already bike lanes on the street? (I’m not very familiar with the road, so I’m not sure where the lanes begin/end, and how well-used the bicycle and pedestrian facilities there are.)

3 Likes

Unprotected bike lanes on New Bern would be too dangerous. Car speeds are too fast for one. There really needs to be a barrier and some distance.

1 Like

I believe everything is planned to be connected in Cary. You might just be looking at a portion that is built but may not be connected until the rest gets developed. That process itself may take a long time though.

3 Likes

Anything above 35 mph should be protected IMO - there currently aren’t bike lanes on New Bern I don’t think

4 Likes

Just mud and sadness. I wear waterproof boots to visit Alamo Drafthouse using the bus.

4 Likes

Thanks. That does make sense.

New Bern has a bike lane that actually starts from Morgan and goes to Tarrboro. It’s too narrow. It’s always blocked. It’s full of leaves and not well-maintained. Cyclists prefer to take Hargett when going east/west which makes sense as Edenton (which goes westbound) has no lanes and does not feel bike friendly at all.

Honestly, turn that lane into parking and focus the bike efforts elsewhere on this stretch of New Bern.

1 Like

FTFY :slight_smile:

We need dedicated BRT lanes way more than we need more parking.

4 Likes

haha, well done! :+1:

2 Likes

Yes!

Am I correct in assuming that BRT will be given an existing lane rather than widening the roadway? (Or do we know yet?)

Dedicated lane down New Bern and Edenton.

1 Like

That seems to be the assumption based on what was discussed at the last New Bern BRT meeting. That instead of widening the road to 3 lanes each direction in the future, that would be forfeited for a dedicated BRT lane.

1 Like

Looks like the total length of New Bern is limited to 3 stories and either 40 or 50 feet. They really need to change that. Any property that runs along New Bern should be allows at minimum 6 to 8 floors to encourage BRT success and encourage real investment in this area.

7 Likes

Will be interesting to see how the Transit Oriented Development (TOD) overlay get’s used. I am hopefully it is not just for the property immediately adjacent to New Bern and goes to the 10 min walk shed. limiting parking spots along the route will be a great move.

5 Likes

Are they doing real BRT with a separated busway in the median, or just widening the road and painting the outside lanes? Has that decision been made yet?

1 Like

I don’t think any decision has been made yet. I would think they’re leaning something towards the latter.

2 Likes

Here’s the plan so far.

2 Likes

@dtraleigh
Am I reading this correctly, BRT is merely a “painted” lane? It is not an actual physically “separated” lane (even painted with low rise cement bumps) to help keep other traffic from actually utilizing it?

Yes, painted lane. No physical separation.