Business Expansion in the Triangle

That is certainly true of our city council. https://twitter.com/i/moments/1011593375810801664

Raleigh City Council is more of an HOA than a real governing body. Awful. City councils shouldnā€™t go over every tiny project with a fine tooth comb. That should be left to individual departments within the city government.

That Peace Street project that was stuck in city council hell is all the proof I need that Amazon will not come to Raleigh.

5 Likes

And IF a bigā€¦IF Amazon does choose Raleighā€¦wellā€¦:exploding_head: Brace for Impact.

The Peace Street project developers asked for variance vis-a-vis immediate residential neighbor objections with legal counsel on the very edge of DT. This was not a typical project scenario.

WRAL TechWire is reporting the Raleigh City Council has voted to present a grant proposal to an as yet unnamed company.

2 Likes

I bet itā€™s the Creamed Corn Corporation.

4 Likes

That is hilarious. Iā€™d rather it be Corn On The Cob Consolidated Enterprises.
:grinning:

Creamed Corn, that is soooo funny.
But really, I do love creamed corn.
Hope they put their HQ in downtown Raleigh and logo on top of building is a pig eating a corn cob!!!
Combine our pig state with creamed corn HQ

Imagine creamed corn dispensers off the sidewalk on the side of the building. A quick tap with ApplePay and you get a nice hot serving of creamed corn! Yum.

2 Likes

I predict the Creamed Corn Cream Ale will be the craft beer hit of the season!

Creamed Corn Kombucha on draft by the ounce and can pay with alt money. Raleigh is streets ahead.

1 Like

Ok so whatā€™s the corn joke? Iā€™m lost and have to askā€¦ Lol

1 Like

Letā€™s just say someone made an incredible dumb investment in sweet corn futures. Not me thoughā€¦

To be honest I think this thread is getting a bit too corny.

6 Likes

Another interesting article in Wral TechWire regarding the difficulty current triangle based Tech companies have recruiting new talent. I see this as a good and bad problem to have, IMO this still has to do with our lack of density in the region. ā€œThus 86 percent are looking to find skilled IT professions and relocate them to the capital city area.ā€

1 Like

I thought it was interesting that one of the HR people interviewed said it was still easier to find talent than in Silicon Valley. I wonder how the shortage of tech talent in the Triangle compares to other tech clusters, I canā€™t imagine anywhere is just bursting with unemployed tech professionals.

I think the point of the article is that thereā€™s the opposite problem. Itā€™s not that tech professionals arenā€™t getting hired. Theyā€™re getting hired (or poached from other companies), but companies doesnā€™t seem to think there are enough qualified people out there to fill all the roles.

Proficiency in different skills take time (plus degrees, alone, may not give you experience in certain skills that are in demand), and getting certified in those skills costs money -yet, both of these things seem to be desired on resumes. Plus, tech companies are encouraged to find their own talent, so they might not be top-notch at recruiting or selling their company to applicants.

As a recent college grad in engineering (my field is close enough to IT that this problem feels familiar), Iā€™m not surprised by this at all. Iā€™ve learned a lot to understand important pieces of technology, but it still feels like thereā€™s a mismatch between the theoretical knowledge weā€™re familiar with and the technical skills theyā€™re demanding. Either everyone involved is bad at communicating and connecting with each other, or thereā€™s a skill gap.

Translation: Iā€™m getting the impression that this is not a density problem, but a cultural or education problem in the tech industry. Does anyone else also get that vibe? (If so, does this mean itā€™s on universities to close this gap so Amazon/Apple would have an easier time recruiting?)

PS: This seems to be the case all across the country, too.

Thatā€™s why itā€™s encouraging to see Wake Tech highlighted in this WSJ article about how community college is ā€œBig Techā€™s Hot New Incubatorā€. More skilled workers for our area.

4 Likes

I work in a scientific field, but yes. My education was very ā€œresearch/academiaā€ based, but it took me several years to finally find a position in my field. They taught us a lot of theory, but what companies want are skills, not theory. Luckily that is many years behind me now, but funnily enough, we had the same discussion about some of the candidates we recently interviewed from my alma mater.

1 Like

Does anyone else think that Apple :apple: and Amazon :desert_island: are each waiting on the other to blink/anounce where the other will go? In this way they can keep the other from stealing good ā€œlocalā€ talent, kind of like the way I recently read in the TBJ that Bandwidth is doing locally from RedHat and others?