Business Expansion in the Triangle

Was not assuming anything read this:

2 Likes

Here are the links to that. Raleigh should definitely make a play for CoStar. Their HQ is in DC but they’ve been expanding in Richmond due to lower costs and the geographic proximity.

https://www.richmond.com/business/plus/costar-looking-for-new-offices-for--plus-employees-with/article_96d3ecba-b698-5069-98ab-d993ee24afb0.html

Richmond has amazing history, density, and architecture but is incapable of even figuring out how to build a minor league baseball stadium and notorious for mismanagement (e.g. failing school infrastructure, spends snow plow budget on new signage, etc.) The Commonwealth would do itself a favor by ending the moratorium on annexation and jurisdictional consolidation.

5 Likes

Just as long as your know that they cannot possibly consolidate since 1979 due to the moratorium. But yes there were issues everywhere in the south in the 60’s and 70’s with consolidation and many did consolidate in North Carolina. I think the problem in Virginia with annexation was do to the over excessive annexation by Hampton Roads back in the day. In North Carolina it was the forced annexations by Fayetteville that ultimately resulted in the end of that practice.

3 Likes

Yup, will be very interesting to see how Raleigh can grow population now that it’s big annexation days are over.

1 Like

Respectfully you might be confusing Raleigh with Charlotte, Raleigh’s population growth has been mostly without hyper annexation.

1 Like

Nothing has really changed much for Raleigh really. They didn’t do many forced annexations before they changed the law (maybe one a year). Very few done anywhere in Wake County.

1 Like

That’s not really true though. Raleigh grew for decades with edge suburban development rapidly annexed along the way from the 1960s through to the end of the Century.
Raleigh’s opportunity to grow now is through density and redevelopment. In addition to the obvious DT core development & at certain nodes throughout the city, opportunities lay within large parcels that have outlived their functional usefulness. This includes dying strip centers, former car lots, end-of-life 2 story apartment complexes, etc. While Raleigh’s annexations will continue to move forward at a snail’s pace, the growth for the city lies in infill, and there’s no reason why Raleigh can’t move its overall density metric from about 3200ppl/m2 to 4000ppl/m2 in the next 15 years or less.

6 Likes

Most past annexations were at the request of developers seeking smaller lots with city services (water & sewer), prior to development. Very few forced annexations as Fayetteville did, which came to the attention of the NC Legislators.

2 Likes

Normally we don’t cover suburban stuff on this site, but since this is an Raleigh HQ move, I thought it was newsworthy.

Golden Corral is moving their HQ location. I don’t know why they didn’t go for DTR. Probably cost. At least they are staying in Raleigh, and the new location is a smidge closer to downtown than their campus just beyond Crabtree Valley Mall.

The new location is in a suburban-style 6 story building by PNC Arena, in the Palisades III building off Trinity Rd.
They’re using 42,500 sqft for their 131 Raleigh-based employees, with room for expansion. This is 5 miles outside of downtown. Here’s a constructionCam.

6 Likes

Neat! That’s right by my house…

1 Like

What no GOLD 3 rail fence around the top of building. It is GOLDEN CORRAL. On more serious note this is just another suburban office building. My guess is mostly back office functions and not tech, so not type of office that likes the DT vibe.

I wonder what their work cafeteria looks like.

4 Likes

Their current HQ is just a quarter mile down Glenwood from their Pleasant Valley restaurant.

1 Like

The irony is that they probably don’t have one. That’s not nearly enough headcount to justify having a cafeteria. I just looked on a map and there isn’t even a Golden Corral nearby. One would think that they’d choose a location near/adjacent to a franchise. Maybe they’ll build one nearby?

1 Like

Yeah I’m good without that

1 Like

I think it’s pretty relevant. It falls within the PNC/Trinity area. You’d think that area would eventually get enough critical mass to form an identity other than next to PNC.

1 Like

UPDATE on New HQ in Raleigh for ABB spinoff.

https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2020/02/11/what-an-abb-spinout-means-for-raleigh-centennial.html?iana=hpmvp_trig_news_headline.

— will be on Centennial Campus for time being
— 450 current employees
— 150 opening for new employees in Raleigh as build up corporate functions

Humm do I see a tower in DT with a corporate name on it (do not know what new company will be called at this time)

8 Likes

On a related note in TBJ, they summarize the top real estate deals. This one’s a reminder that a big chunk of available office space is needed in downtown to attract new HQs.

Advance Auto Parts – The $103 million lease is in a 20-story tower still under construction. Originally, Advance Auto was looking to move downtown, but the North Hills site will have an earlier move-in date. Set for late 2020, the tower will have 218,000 square feet of office space.

Certainly a risk to build on spec, but the rewards could be huge when you bag a biggie. I wonder what big HQ announcements for Raleigh we’ll see in 2020?

4 Likes

Anyone else notice the “SAS” logo flags downtown?

I wonder if its a sign Goodnight is moving the HQ downtown!!! :rofl:

2 Likes

3 Likes