Business Expansion in the Triangle

That is just the Triangle’s bid. The scuttlebutt (outside this site) at the time was Amazon had eyed a few sites but were circling downtown Raleigh if we were chosen. Whether accurate or not, Amazon’s penchant for urban settings seems fairly well-established.

6 Likes

Chatham County’s no longer a candidate for the unidentified semiconductor manufacturer’s plans to build a new fab plant.

Can’t wait to see which City / State throws the most money at them.

1 Like

Bandwidth is going vertical at their expansive West Raleigh campus.

16 Likes

On nice! Just drove by here the other day and this wasn’t up. I live very close, and I’m happy to see anything getting built and adding density to this area of Raleigh, even if it doesn’t directly benefit me.

3 Likes

They have 3 cranes up every day that I see on my way to work. (Third one is hiding behind a tree in the picture.)

8 Likes

Didn’t know if there was a more fitting place to put this but I got to skim this article before the paywall went up.
I think Leo(?) mentioned this as a comment in another thread, but I think this speaks to the current trend of [hopefully] “seeing 30,000 employees across 3000 companies vs 30,000 employees across 300 companies” (I’m paraphrasing here :sweat_smile::sweat_smile:)

https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2022/02/22/arch-capital-slashes-downtown-raleigh-office-space.html

I can’t say this doesn’t worry me about the feasibility of many standing office spaces lingering empty or the continued break pumping for new projects in the works. But as others have stated, hopefully there will be a shift to smaller office footprints so it may become more financially viable for smaller companies to lease spaces. Or just more of a shift to building more residential high rises downtown.
I work from home and understand the appeal in the big push for permanent WFH, but I also don’t work in a field that would have been a traditional office job either.

I wonder how this trend will impact the landscape (cityscape :drum:) for the next decade or so? I don’t see any going back to the way things were now, or at least nowhere near the same capacity.

3 Likes

To your point (and my point that you quoted :wink: ) Arch Capital is reducing their footprint but:

“We are interested in finding the right partner for a sublease at The Dillon,” spokesman Greg Hare said in an email. “However the opportunity needs to make sense both culturally and financially.”

Therefore, smaller footprints but more companies. Same headcounts though so the office market just might be more diverse.

Nice share!

6 Likes

My personal opinion is that the shift to WFH, might be a benefit for cities like Raleigh more so than Charlotte, NYC or SF. Reason I state that is that those cities are more dependent on banking, legal, and professional services. While cities like Raleigh are more government, labs, education etc. which need the space and resources an office provides. Also companies will still be reliant on 3rd party space for hybrid work (think WeWork).

But that’s just my two cents. I’m more concerned with Raleigh becoming a cheap labor outpost for companies (recent google news).I dont know how to solve the problem of NC/GA/TN/TX/OH being the locations you choose when you want to pay people less than the coastal mega cities.

4 Likes

Well it costs less to live here at the moment. If we catch up, then it’ll solve itself. Except then they’ll move the jobs to Nebraska or something :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Honestly I think it depends on the company and their own financial situation. For instance, my company has a large campus in Cary and everyone is going to start going back to the office in March (after 2 years WFH) in a hybrid office/WFH manner. My dad works for Duke at the ATC and they followed the ‘downsizing their footprint’ model and he’s now permanent WFH.

You then look at companies like Pendo, who spent all that money on their new office, bringing people back to the office as well. Bandwith is expanding their campus while Apple is building a large, new campus in the RTP as well. It’ll be interesting to see how the next 1-2 years plays out as I think we might (knock on wood) be seeing the tail-end of the pandemic. Maybe once society transitions to the ‘endemic’ phase of all this we can start to see some sort of new reality in regards to the commercial real estate market.

Just my $0.02.

6 Likes

That’s where I’m at right now. Office work and density will never go back to the way things were pre-pandemic. That ship has sailed 100%. However, different companies will do different things. Some will downsize office space and move to WFH, some will downsize or reinvent themselves while maintaining a hybrid workplace, and then others will throw the kitchen sink at trying to bring workers back into the office on a more regular basis, and all the bells and whistles that entails. People will, among other factors, figure out where to work based on those options, especially since the labor market is bananas right now. At the end of the day, I think things will level out.

It’s also important to remember that office jobs are but one type of job, and the overwhelming majority of other jobs still require an in-person presence.

6 Likes

WFH could be a boon to the downtown housing market. A lot of young folks attracted to RTP jobs might be more willing to live in downtown Raleigh if they didn’t have to commute every day. Could be a great way to market new highrise apartments/condos.

4 Likes

View of the Bandwidth campus from GoRaleigh 26, taken yesterday. There’s a second crane left of this picture.

16 Likes

Epic Games buying music platform Bandcamp:

https://www.newsobserver.com/news/business/article258969888.html#storylink=mainstage_card2

2 Likes

Interesting! For the people who don’t check their sources (what is wrong with you lol), this isn’t Epic Games’ first purchase of an artist-based online marketplace, either.

It really sounds like they’re doubling down on the idea that Epic Games will become more than just a video game maker. Depending on how this metaverse (family of integrated online services and experiences?) industry pans out, they might become a formidable Triangle-based competitor not only to Apple, but also the company formerly known as Facebook.

I wonder if there’s going to be a time when they’ll rename themselves so they can focus on things beyond gaming? They’d probably want to pick a different name, though, since there’s already a company named Epic (which is despised by basically every healthcare provider I’ve ever met).

5 Likes

some office may be blending into a shop-entertain-workout-work-dine-meet conglomeration for some.

Agreed on all points—and as someone who puts music on Bandcamp I’m going to keep an eye on this one.

1 Like

Yeah, as someone who is an avid fan and supporter of Bandcamp, I was curious about this acquisition when I saw the news break.
Ethan Diamond says that they will continue to operate “independently” but we’ll see if EG decides to tamper with the holy ecosystem in the future as the dust settles. I’m a bit concerned about this, ngl.

4 Likes

The entire (lowercase) metaverse is a great place for Epic to focus, their original (and continuing) money maker is from the game Unreal Tournament. The game made some money, but the real value came from licensing the Unreal engine (basically the program that drives the physics and environment generation in a game) to other games and enterprises. It would make a ton of sense for this next progression to be into metaverse and provide that same interface/environment on which others develop.

4 Likes