Business Relocation/Economic Expansion

They should build these tall residential buildings with open “business center” floors for WFH and use it as a selling point.

6 Likes

Seems the Cabarrus/Kane project agrees with you and is adding accommodations and building the common spaces with WFH in mind (per this Raleigh Mag article).

7 Likes

I agree. A tourist has to have a car and a guide of sorts to help get them around to all the great things Raleigh has to offer. People who have lived in Raleigh all their life are still discovering new and fun things to do.

2 Likes

Business Journal is indicating Mayor Baldwin wants to make a push for the ACC Headquarters…of course the paywall caveats the ‘charlotte competition’. I’m sure the article is slanted given the business journal is based in charlotte.

Boheim’s head would literally explode if the ACC moved to Raleigh…which is enough reason to do it IMO.

While the ACC was ‘born’ in Greensboro, it became what it is today in a large part to Everett Case & NC State…& I’m a Carolina grad. Raleigh IS the ACC epicenter and should be the new HQ…

20 Likes

The article for reference:
https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2021/11/09/raleigh-mayor-baldwin-city-wants-to-lure-acc-hq.html

It does sound like Charlotte has the advantage, with their airport probably being a big factor, but it’s hard to say at this point. At least the Triangle is finally making a pitch for it, after Charlotte was vocal about their interest from the beginning.

Also, similar article on WRAL now.

8 Likes

The airport argument is a red herring excuse for new AD to justify leaving Greensboro.

You can get to virtually any ACC team market from Greensboro maybe with a connection to one or two.

The SEC has managed to get along just fine in Birmingham without moving to Atlanta

6 Likes

With our luck, they’ll move the headquarters to Morrisville.

4 Likes

One more thing to think about: would it be easier for the ACC to lobby for state policies in the Triangle or Charlotte?

Parts of Mecklenburg County and the Charlotte metro area are represented by Republicans (read: the party with more clout since they have a legislative supermajority). They’d also be closer to Columbia from there, too, in case they need a bigger presence outside of our state for some weird future PR reason.

I’d love the ACC to move along 85 in our direction, but… y’know… is that something we should think about?

1 Like

Maybe since the Syracuse coach, who will not be named, dislikes NC so much, they should move the ACC HQ to Carthage, NC

1 Like

He can’t get over the fact his basketball team has to play here every home game.

8 Likes

Just like the SEC doesn’t have a school in B’ham, I just can’t imagine the ACC setting up shop in a city with a member institution.
On the flip side, it would be bittersweet for Charlotte to land the HQ of a conference that its own named school has no chance of joining.

2 Likes

Why not? Both the B10 and the Pac-12 are headquartered within 20 miles of a member school.

1 Like

20 miles is still 20 miles. Gboro isn’t that far from Wake either, but the ACC is not in a member city.
I would suppose that a major conference wants to keep things neutral.

Cities don’t actually get an extra vote in conference meetings or anything. Put it this way, Charlotte would be the most isolated of all power conference headquarters. Dallas, Chicago, and the Bay Area are arguably the metros most central and associated with their respective conferences, and all host a member school or two.

Birmingham would be the only comparable headquarters as far as isolation. But it’s a) about 30% closer to a member school and b) ground zero for said member school’s alumni base.

2 Likes

Yeah Birmingham might as well be considered a member city for Alabama. It is where most of the boosters live. It is also where they played most of their football games for a large portion of their existence. It is the city where Alabama shutdown a local schools (UAB) football team to decrease competition.

As an outsider / new resident in ACC country, I see no reason the conference HQ shouldn’t be in Raleigh, but I do agree with the people that have mentioned the requirements point towards Charlotte it seems. If any school complains about it being too close to the local members, you just gotta lean into it. A common joke whenever penalties go Alabama’s direction is to say “thanks Birmingham.”

1 Like

Joe Biden’s finally ready to sign the infrastructure bill, and it comes with an unexpected feature: an experimental program that could make the greater Triangle a more important part of the global supply chain!

Basically, the DoT will partner with a Georgia state agency to shift around existing federal funds to help shipping containers stuck in Savannah move around faster. They’re making that happen by transferring some of their cargo to inland “pop-up ports” -one of which is the CSX intermodal facility that just opened in Rocky Mount last month.

The Biden administration’s goal is to help with the supply chain crisis that’s causing inflation right now. But I wonder if the success of this program could also make North Carolina’s ports (and inland ports too) into a bigger part of the world of international commerce? I assume that would bring about tons of cost savings for manufacturing and tech hardware jobs, too, when more companies consider moving or expanding to the 919.

12 Likes

I am probably missing something… but how will an ‘inland port’ in Rocky Mount help offload ships at the ports? Those ships aren’t going to sail up the Tar river.

It sounds like one of the problems, at least with Savannah, is that there is not enough dock space to store containers as they leave the ships. In this scenario, they just load them on trucks and hit I-95. Caveat I assume being they find enough drivers and other workers.

5 Likes

you can’t just drop them on the beach… MHC & Southport are not deep water ports like Savannah, Newport News, Miami & NYC…but if they can scale at least somewhat this could turn out to be a boon for the 2 NC ports…plus that new CSX terminal in Rocky Mounty & the Global Transpark could also benefit

2 Likes

A lot of money was spent to dredge the Cape Fear channel. My understanding was this was so they could take the bigger cargo ships. I am pretty sure we’ve got a PanaMax calling once a week there now - its bigger than anything else that comes in, and is nearly as tall as the Casewell Light house. By “deep water” do you mean something other than the channel?