Commuter Rail - Garner to West Durham

Oooh my bad. It sounded to me like more of a “Raleigh is better than the rest of y’all” thing at first, but I got what you meant now.

In that case, yeah… I think GoTriangle definitely messed up with their strategies, back then :confused: But I think their mistakes run much longer than Raleigh dropping the ball in the Wake Light Rail idea.

The whole idea of DOLRT started when a Major Investment Study said some sort of rail connection between Chapel Hill and Durham is worth it.

In 1998.

Assuming it would happen after a Durham-Raleigh rail connection is built.

This is why you gotta pay attention to early-stage studies and keep track of politics :upside_down_face:(see: the Bush administration changing federal transit funding rules).

1 Like

If you spend enough time in Durham there’s definitely a Superiority Complex in Durham among the proudly Durhamite crowd.

4 Likes

The same could be said about pretty much any city, and that very much includes Raleigh.

10 Likes

Definitely any city although I find Raleigh to be usually surprisingly self-deprecating.

3 Likes

Raise your hand if your city had a ‘Marry our city event’ like Durham did in 2011. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

2 Likes

Board of Trustees looking into public contests for naming trains, lines, stations, etc. Though don’t expect this to happen until 2-3 years before service is online. So 10 years from now.

4 Likes

It will be named in a public contest? So the name will be Trainy McTrainface then (or possibly even “Hitler did nothing wrong”).

8 Likes

They gave a subtle nod to the instances where public naming contests have gone wrong. I think they’re planning on vetting the submissions and choosing their favorite instead of setting up a public poll. They also mentioned a possible prize for the winning selection, either in the form of cash or a free annual pass or something along those lines.

Though I am partial to Trainy McTrainface.

3 Likes

Just received an email that there’s a new survey for the commuter rail. Haven’t taken it yet, but I’m about to: https://goforwardnc.org/commuterrail.

9 Likes

Thanks for sharing. Completed it.

1 Like

Semi-bad news:

NCDOT is delaying some much needed rail projects until the end of the decade:

“Building bridges to eliminate railroad crossings at Northeast Maynard and Trinity roads in Cary is delayed four years to 2028.”

3 Likes

You’re talking about the latest list of projects from today’s Board of Transportation meeting, yeah?

I mean… “much needed” for the future, right? I agree it would be necessary if/when commuter rail becomes a thing in the latter half of this decade -so it’s disappointing, sure, but I don’t think it’s something to freak out over.

There are some things related to the FAST proposal that throw a wrench into existing plans, though. But no one actually believes they’d start running by 2025, anyways.

Yes for the future rail projects.

1 Like

GoTriangle released the agenda for their upcoming Board of Trustees meeting, which includes updates to major projects like commuter rail.

Does anyone know what’s going on behind the scenes? If I’m reading between the lines right, it sounds like Norfolk Southern is just taking their sweet ass time with modeling analyses, but they’re not being very transparent about it…

4 Likes

The very last page of the GoTriangle Board agenda for next Wednesday has a few updates related to the Greater Triangle Commuter Rail (GTCR) project. Combined with what I wrote last November, I’m starting to get two impressions that’s making me rethink my expectations, as well as how we should be discussing them on this site. Click each point for details:

Lots of key leaders and organizations aren't committed to GTCR, yet.

GoTriangle needs to secure legal agreements with rail operators NCRR and Norfolk Southern if they want to be allowed to run trains at all. But they seem to have been stuck in negotiation mode since at least October. They’ve also been engaging local governments and institutions (e.g. Duke?) in Durham and Cary since August, but GoTriangle didn’t finish directly hearing their thoughts and ideas until November.

We need all of these stakeholders’ cooperation to show we can raise the money and ridership to make GTCR work, but it seems like we’re struggling with this.

Despite the hype, only a tiny number of people are actually paid to work on GTCR.

The real estate/engineering negotiations, railroad capacity studies etc. sound like things that could be done independently of each other to me, but they all seem to be happening one step at a time even before Norfolk Southern’s holdup, and even if you factor in how it’s hard to work during COVID.

This makes me wonder: does GoTriangle simply not have enough people working on this project to make it proceed as fast as Raleigh’s BRT projects?

@Kevin do you know how many GoTriangle employees are actually working on the commuter rail project? I’m sure I could guesstimate by looking at the FTEs funded through the Wake Transit work plans, but I don’t have the bandwidth to do that…

2 Likes

From all that I read on this thread over the past 15 months of posts, it sounds to me like it’s not certain AT ALL there will ever be commuter rail for the Triangle. Sounds like the planners need to go farther and determine if it’s even worth it, all the while the “Go Forward” group says “37 miles of commuter rail Will be built over the next 10 years.”

If I’m being honest, it really just sounds like commuter rail is wishful thinking. :man_shrugging:t2:

4 Likes

Exactly! Unlike the BRT projects, no government agency has committed to making commuter rail happen yet. Wake County wants to make it happen and are trying to convince people and funders to support it; that is the whole point of all the studies and long-term regional plans that are happening. Think of the planning efforts so far as a startup investment.

And if that feels outrageous to you, remember that the whole point of studies is to learn exactly that before you shell out the funds for a full project execution.

One minor point, though: the “Go Forward group” is not some shady lobbying group; it’s literally just GoTriangle, GoRaleigh, CAMPO, and other transit agencies and planning organizations in the Triangle. That’s their combined brand to raise public awareness about regional transit plans.

3 Likes

I believe there is one person working full-time on it and another person who probably works 50% on it, with other people pulled in as needed. A lot of this heavy lifting should be done by the consultants, I would think.

3 Likes

I have said this and others in the transit realm here have agreed: you’ll see commuter rail service on the Wake Forest to Apex “S” line before you see it in the Durham-Clayton corridor. That’s a combination of NCDOT’s institutional knowledge and capacity with passenger rail vs. GoTriangle as well as a corridor that has fewer design challenges and freight companies more willing to play ball.

9 Likes

GoTriangle should hire NCDOT Rail as the contractor for Clayton to Durham commuter rail, end of story, full stop. They have a vested interest in the NCRR? Great. Then pay them to have a vested interest in running commuter trains on it.

7 Likes