Current status of 301H, 400H, Edison tower

Interesting read, thanks for sharing! I found another, longer, article from Bloomberg that details the history of the stick built apartments, and why they work so well under current codes:

3 Likes

Thanks. The article’s subject and content is no surprise to me. I see these types of buildings nearly everywhere. Florida (at least south Florida) is an exception because these buildings don’t meet hurricane codes. Below is a 5 story apartment going up across the street from my condo in Miami Beach.

Bringing this back to topic, the great thing about 301H and 400H is that they can’t be built this way; they have to be either concrete or steel structures.
In the last 20 years, these are the housing projects that I can think of that are not wood downtown. Please add to the list or correct me if I’m wrong.
510 Glenwood (condo)
The Paramount (condo)
West @ North (condo)
The Quorum (condo)
222 Glenwood (condo)
Devon 425 (rental)
The Dawson (condo)
PNC Plaza (condo)
Skyhouse (rental)
The Hue (is it concrete?) (rental)
Bloomsbury Estates (condo)
Peace (under construction) (rental)
FNB (under construction) (rental)
Fairweather (under construction) (condo)
301H (proposed) (rental)
400H (proposed) (rental)
After going through this, I am comforted to know that NOT all of the housing downtown is wood.

3 Likes

I went on the site, read that Construction will start in the Fall of 2019, Great.

2 Likes

I am so hoping for a web cam :blush:

3 Likes

Unfortunately that doesn’t mean much in Raleigh. I’m sure there will be delays however if 400H, 301H, Union Station Bus Station towers are all under construction in 2021 that would be quite the sight of cranes.

Edison losing parking lot rights this year doesn’t mean they’ll make a move soon.

1 Like

Hue is indeed concrete…same developer and general concept as 222 Glenwood. Was going to be condos until the bank crisis hit, partly caused by…condo lending standards.
Good list. I used to keep a spreadsheet for this and finally put it on a google map.

1 Like

Yeah, I remember that. A friend had a contract on the Hue and ended up walking from it before the collapse and went with the West because of that. I don’t remember the specifics but the Hue had a window where they told their buyers that they had to rewrite their contracts. It was at this point that my friend walked away unscathed.

1 Like

Good call. West seems like a nicer building too, despite the envelope work their doing at the moment. As a full on rental building Hue seems like it is exactly what it needs to be in that spot anyway. Like someone else was saying about maybe it’s time for more condos, maybe one of these developers will take a stab at navigating the extra steps and see if they can pull it off. One workaround is to simply retain half of the condos and rent them and sell the other half at whatever pace they sell at.

2 Likes

The West is nice. Never hear any unit to unit noise, etc. Our envelope work is inconvenient and expensive, but necessary to address issues that have been exposed by hurricanes and severe rain events.

2 Likes

I’m not entirely sure if I’m reading this correctly, but the marketing brochure for 400H indicates (on page 6, if you’re looking) that 15,000 square feet has been pre-leased on the office levels. However, the Loopnet listing for the building doesn’t reflect that status.

Can anyone else provide any insight on this? I’m hoping that there’s movement on the building, but I may just be seeing things.

1 Like

I would guess the loopnet listing is old since it still lists the offices will be available July 2019… I’d trust the brochure which states “*15,000 RSF pre-leased” which is about half a floor.

1 Like

I agree, though the Loopnet listing says it was last updated 6 days ago. I don’t notice anything different.

3 posts were merged into an existing topic: 400 Hillsborough Tower