Dockless Scooters for Raleigh

I really think that’s cause most cities know that funding is not a major issue in getting separated bike facilities on the ground - its political will. So having a big pot of money sitting around they can’t spend would be a PR fail when you want to keep saying you’re bike friendly, but you’re not even spending the money you have to make it better. Much easier to just say “we don’t have the budget, so sad!”

Dear Bird, while you want us to complain about your tax please do the same for us tax payers who seem to have our tax go up each year. Seems we have the same tax vote for the same govt entities every year or two. Fine, but no one cares about our struggle. Do like I do, just pay it and enjoy!

Love,

Soft Furry Kitty

1 Like

The latest in dockless scooters: docks.
https://www.citylab.com/transportation/2019/03/electric-scooters-parking-charging-docks-lime-bird-lyft-spin/584332/

1 Like

Can someone explain the Bird zone outside of downtown? Will it turn off if I try to go outside of it or just not let me park it?

We were just talking yesterday about how all the scooter drama seems to have leveled off and the companies have found their place, but then I got stopped on the greenway by someone telling me I wasn’t allowed to ride a scooter on it. It was the stretch near Pullen and the prison so my other option was to ride on Western. Ironically, it was the same person who led the petition on the Rosengarten greenway tunnel who was so concerned that people would be hit by cars. I had a good laugh.

does anyone know if that’s a Bird- or Raleigh-created zone? So frustrating that the service is so puny compared to where it was at the end of last summer.

Bird is pulling out of Raleigh, April 30. Should be seeing headlines later today.

2 Likes

I know most people on this forum dislike these scooters, but this is a HUGE loss for downtown.
I use them nearly every weekend, getting from my house to Glenwood south and the warehouse district in minutes. I will use the Lime scooters, but having another option was always great. Plus the city has that idiotic rule of limiting 500 scooters per company.
I was just in Atlanta, and they have 3 maybe 4 companies providing these scooters and makes traveling 2-3 miles obtainable without getting into a car.

3 Likes

I can’t even count how many options San Diego has. At least 6 the last time I was there. Not saying that’s right, but a stark contrast to Raleigh. I think somewhere in between is probably compromise. I certainly get the city’s concern of having a for-profit company using city infrastructure (or lack thereof) and not contribute to the financial burden of that infrastructure, but I don’t think the city went about it right and I think we all saw the writing on the wall as soon as the restrictions went into effect. I’d be surprised if Lime doesn’t follow, but hope they stick it out and are able to make it work.

4 Likes

Raleigh’s current policy expires in July. Listen to the latest @JenniferS podcast which includes a conversation with somebody from Lime (which strikes me as a better company in the first place.) Lime lays out a path towards a better structure for regulation:

1. Caps that increase or decrease depending on utilization. If there are 500 scooters and they are getting used heavily then more would be allowed. If there are lots of scooters and they are not getting used, the cap decreases. Sounds fine to me.
  2. Per-trip fees instead of per-scooter fees, the idea being that enforcement scales with usage. I would not fully agree with this; it’s true for enforcement, but infrastructure like scooter corrals really does scale with scooter count, so a lower per-scooter fee (to cover infrastructure) combined with a per-ride fee (to cover enforcement) would be the best solution.
3 Likes

I may have mentioned this months ago, but if we were to get to pick our next scooter company to come in to town (if any are even interested at this point), I’d select Razor. I’ve ridden pretty much any other model of scooter and Razor’s are unique to them and a much more enjoyable ride. I really do hope Bird’s sacrifice leaving town helps encourage more friendly policy and we can get other providers interested in Raleigh.

When I was in DC a few months ago, there where lot’s of scooters around. Zipping down sidewalks, between cars, past pedestrians in crosswalks and Ignoring traffic lights.

Did not realize Razor was in the scooter share business. Obviously they have in house expertise designing scooters, and it seems they have a purpose-built, steel frame scooter for their sharing system, which might solve some of the durability issues plaguing the other operators.

I like the attitude and mission of Lime, but their scooters have seemed a bit flimsy to me.

1 Like

And they’re uncomfortable to ride. That model like most others don’t have inflatable tires so you feel every bump and crack in the road. Bird used many of the same air-less tire models as well though the did have a model, the most popular one, that had inflatable tires. Let me say, changing one of those tires was a PITA!

Supposedly it is Lime and Bird pulling out of Raleigh.

https://www.newsobserver.com/news/business/article228528039.html?cid=DM8861&bid=90678026

Confirmed by N&O

2 Likes

Good riddance to Bird in my opinion. They were very misleading to customers about the tax Raleigh was charging (see my last post above). This move from Bird just comes off as a “i’ll take my ball and go home”. Great, thanks.

Hopefully, Lime is able to work something out.

1 Like

Unbelievable, but at the same time not surprising. Just spoke with my wallet, I’m not taking this sitting down.
https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Manufacture-Price-1-1-Xiaomi-Mijia_60756919947.html?locphyscl=9009734&pla_localcode=&pla_country=US&pla_prdid=60756919947&src=sem_ggl&src=sem_ggl&adgrp=64914329996&cmpgn=1672797265&pla_group=293946777986&ntwrk=g&pla_lang=en&gclid=Cj0KCQjw4fHkBRDcARIsACV58_E0KfMcs9ua01kk01kRAQfXqnNR7S_B13rN3PUrfq72XbtU1Gx1fZQaAsicEALw_wcB&dvcmdl=&pla_adtype=pla&pla_channel=online&position=1o2&pla_mrctid=130786368&device=c&mark=google_shopping&mark=shopping&locintrst=#shopping-ads

From the N&O article that’s disappointing from Limes director of government relations ““The bottom line is I want Lime in Raleigh for the long-haul,” Boyle said. “I just need a city partner I can work with.””

And from Bird " “Unfortunately, Raleigh city officials refuse to amend their burdensome regulations on e-scooter providers, and it no longer makes sense for us to provide our service under the city’s restrictive leadership,” Bird said in its statement. “Our time in Raleigh must come to a close but we hope to return in the future when city officials are ready to be more amenable to our business and industry as well as the needs of their constituents.”

1 Like

Not clear whether Lime will be leaving NCSU campus and surrounding areas. Their scooters and e-bikes are used a lot by NCSU students. Of course most of them don’t vote in city council elections.

great job city council. you just took away a fun and easy way for me to get around downtown.

5 Likes

Another thorn to the side from the article
" Both Bird and Lime pointed to Charlotte as a city leading the state when it comes to scooters."
" “Charlotte, for example, has championed Bird and its value in the community. We have an awesome working relationship with them and are even looking for ways to extend our partnership to figure out how we can help them solve some issues related to parking and the like.""

2 Likes