Dockless Scooters for Raleigh

The following companies submitted their responses to the Raleigh RFP for e-scooter operations.
Bolt
Gotcha
Lyft
Spin
VeoRide

Unfortunately Bird and Lime are done and Razor isn’t in the list.

also, @dwight, suggesting 100s of cities are operating with “no problem” is a stretch. Your point is they are operating which is better than what Raleigh will have. They certainly still have “problems” to deal with.

1 Like

I’m going to guess that more than a couple of those companies primarily exist to benefit from the hole that Bird and Lime leave when they get run out of towns. They probably can’t compete with Bird and Lime on equal footing, but don’t mind taking less profit from their scooters when faced with fees.

1 Like

This. As much as I like them and will miss having them as an option to get around downtown, it was pretty obvious from the start that an inability to control irresponsible rider behavior would be their biggest problem. I don’t know that any of the companies or any cities have figured that part out.

Now this is getting interesting. Your right other companies are jumping into the mix.

1 Like

IF I lived in Raleigh, I would run. However, I don’t… I might run for Durham one day though, but I like out city council.

2 Likes

Speaking of which, Leo, why don’t you run? I am not sure what Precinct you are, but looking at these vote totals, you probably could get it. I am assuming with your connections you would do quite well. I am sure you could get a good group of volunteers for your campaign as well.

4 Likes

I live in district C. Not sure I’m up for it but I’ve thought of planning commission maybe, one day, would be a good way to serve.

13 Likes

I agree on most of your points. Seems like scooters just appeared and were laying on the sidewalks one day. Lime and Byrd definitely should have worked with the city ahead of time to coordinate the roll-out, as well as educate the public on how (and how not to) use them. Honestly the way some people were riding them I’m surprised no-one caused a serious issue or death. I know at night time it was very hard to see them.

Having said all that - I am totally bummed out that they left. It was a good alternative to get around town without having to get into a car. All anything that gets people out of cars I will support.

I think there is plenty of blame to go around. Both to the city and to Lime and Byrd. Seem like their business model is to flood a market with scooters, and then deal with the consequences.

1 Like

100s with no problems? I think not.

2 Likes

I though this was an interesting snippet from the YIMBY group:

this excerpt from the Raleigh Muni code is a great example:

annual fee for motor vehicle = $30
annual fee for taxicab = $15
annual fee for scooter = $300"

credit to user: mstevenson27605

5 Likes

Aha! you’re on it. Yes, that post was particularly pithy

1 Like

One of the hardest things for any type of political campaign is a solid support structure, basically people who really want to help, and do it for free. Like I said, I think you have that support structure built in.

3 Likes

Thanks a lot @RobertB Appreciate it. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

you’re right- every transportation mode has its problems. I should say, “operating with no legal or regulatory problems. Lots of cities with low regulatory barriers with minimal parking and conflict issues. not killing pedestrians”

1 Like

let me know when we figure it out for cars. Then I’ll admit that this argument makes sense.

2 Likes

Not arguing that it makes sense, just that it was going to be their biggest problem. Cars are of course a much bigger safety hazard, something our city council repeatedly fails to grasp.

What is the yearly property tax on a car and a Taxi. I am sure it’s much more than 300 bucks.

What am I missing? Taken 20 min ago.

I think both companies remain until the end of April if this is what you are wondering

Hahaha, my mistake. They leave April 30 and in my mind it was March 30. Carry on.

2 Likes