Dockless Scooters for Raleigh

@dtraleigh this article reminded me of your comment here.

I’m all for sharing the non-car lanes with anyone we can get on them.

I like the comments that indicate a separation of speeds. It’s no longer fast and slow but mid-speed has emerged and the public space has to accommodate for three modes perhaps.

What that looks like, we may watch cities try to wrestle with that problem over time.

With as many kids that I see in the basket area of shopping carts & playing games on iPads and smartphones, I’d say quite lazy.

OK folks… let’s stop parent bashing, this isn’t the right forum for this topic.

Agreed, Dwight.

It’ll be nice once we (finally) have a decent north-south bike lane corridor that runs thru the middle of the city.

https://www.raleighnc.gov/business/content/PlanDev/Articles/TransPlan/BlountPersonStreetProject.html

I love this!

LOL that was awesome! Top Gun flyin down the sidewalk…

Now we have the ruling…the scooters belong on the street.

I think a ban on scooters on sidewalks in downtown is a good idea, but I’d like to keep it to the downtown core and other designated zones.

In the suburbs, these could be great last mile (or 2) transit connections but they will not be viable if we ban them from the long empty sidewalks along places like Six Forks and Wake Forest. There’s far fewer pedestrians and curb cuts in those environments.

There’s also kids and adults that already own these kinds of devices already that use the sidewalks responsibly and safely and have for years. If our ban is general and city-wide, all of them will be unable to use them near their homes.

Not all sidewalks are built or used in the same manner, I think a ban should be as narrow as possible.

I think that’s an interesting idea, but I disagree about the curb cuts. There are tons of them in the burbs because, frankly, people get around by car. I worry that drivers will not even look for/see these scooters because the sidewalks are as empty as you explain, and because a scooter can come up on curb cut rather quickly, even if the driver looks before turning.
A scooter rider has to especially be a VERY defensive rider in an environment where the car is the king & pedestrians are almost non existent.

You may be right about curb cuts. I still think there’s more downtown, but the traffic is much faster OTB and the cuts and curb radii wider.

I went for a ride down New Hope / Millbrook the other night - the only other people biking out there were 2 people on cheap bikes with no light or helmets in using bikes to get around. people are already using the sidewalk for this sort of transportation. If we ban scooters from sidewalks on major roads, it would limit their spread and have farther-reaching unintended consequences.

The Raleigh DLA is running a survey to get feedback on scooters. However you feel about this issue, I encourage you to fill out this brief survey. https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/DLAscootersurvey

Filled out the survey. As a biker, I’m fine with sharing bike lanes with the scooters. It’s clearly where they belong. And hey, it’s an incentive to expand bike lanes to a lot of streets that still don’t have them.

As someone who’s used the scooters a few times, in the absence of bike lanes, I’m using the sidewalk. And even sometimes where there are inadequate bike lines.

If you have a problem with that, direct your comments to the city planners who didn’t include bike lanes in any sensible way in their plans.

I wonder how the scooters will affect the new Citrix Bike program that has taken the city literally years to get off the ground? The Bird company was just formed last year, and the city has been planning for these bikes for what? 5 years? and the bikes still aren’t here.

I read about a study (couldn’t quickly find it, sorry) that suggested the arrival of dockless bike share in a city increases the utility of existing docked systems and increased ridership on those systems. The idea was that the more option for alternate mobility people have, the more likely they are to rely on it. Hopefully this will prove true for us with various bike and scooter share programs.

Good point @dwi. While I’m a huge proponent of the last mile ride share (when used responsibly), I also expect the impact it is having with regulation is going to ruin my ability to ride down the sidewalks around DTR on my OneWheel which I’ve been doing for nearly 2 years with no issues. I’ve not had a single person say something to me during that time, until last week when I was riding through the Moore St bus station and a bus station officer said I had to get off and walk. Of course I respect that and totally understand, but it’s a change of the times and I suspect for the better if we can figure out how to educate the citizens how to use this great tool responsibly.

I took the survey. I think there’s a delicate balance of finding regulations that work without being too restrictive, difficult to enforce, or requiring too many resources.

Safety is my main concern. Last night at the Salisbury and Hillsborough intersection, I watched about five Bird riders navigate the intersection in the dark with the traffic signal. I watched uncomfortably as the people on scooters unpredictably maneuvered in front of cars in travel lanes, bike lanes, and the sidewalk with very little visibility (and no signaling) in the dark.

I’m a bike commuter, so I understand the need for life preservation in areas where cars aren’t paying attention. I try not to be on sidewalks, but I do respectfully use greenways (I’m not going to ride my bike on Western Blvd, nope), so I think a balance is possible. I also use greenways as a pedestrian and have been buzzed by cyclists who don’t call out, and I’m a motorist who has seen cyclists behaving badly, so I view the issue from all angles.

These problems boil down to having common courtesy to those around you and giving a crap about your life and the lives of others, which are difficult things to regulate.

So now there’s a Bird rap video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIEKWxYp240

Was downtown Saturday with my daughters, scooters everywhere, it looks ugly, most people riding them are inconsiderate, get off sidewalks!!