Dorothea Dix Park

Larry’s is still kicking here on Milburnie!

2 Likes

Haha, I did that in the Army for 22 years, they didn’t care what the hell happened to you, if you died during the jump you better have had a dam good reason or they may just leave your body on the drop zone.

2 Likes

I mean, I don’t enjoy driving them places now and I’m sure I won’t in a few years. I wish I could use transit more and I will encourage my kids to use transit when I feel like they are old enough to go out and do things on their own. I’m not debating anything, I’m just showing an example of a life stage that has changed my viewpoint.

For instance, Dix is the most exciting project to me because it’s a great place to bring my kids and let them have some open space play. With the new playground, it’s going to be perfect. But the people who are going to use that playground aren’t going to be walking there or taking a bus. They are going to be showing up with 2 kids, one in a stroller and the other one running wild. If there wasn’t ample parking, this big investment wouldn’t pay off. The demo destination playgrounds attract are not the same demo who is even considering taking transit.

I don’t like that I’m saying any of this, but it’s become reality to me.

I am to the point where I’m not ready to give up on transit or removing cars/parking from the equation, but I think it needs a full rethink. Just eliminating parking seems like a 2015 solution for Raleigh, not one that seems like it’d be successful in 2021

2 Likes

AGREED!!! Definitely a Ferris wheel.

1 Like

Here’s a place that we can convert to a rock wall.

11 Likes

After the crazy-ass dude blew up the same place in Nashville over Thanksgiving, I am thinking we are lucky they continue to let us walk by it, much less climb all over it.
Great idea though, finally a good use for its blank ugliness.

1 Like

If that happened here in Raleigh that building would be gone. But see unlike Nashville that was the command center for the whole Southeast and he briefly knocked out service to North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Virginia, West Virginia, and the state itself Tennessee. This building only serves Raleigh so it wouldn’t be a good target anyway.

I’m dying for an outdoor roller skating pavilion. Pair that with a skate park and it would be awesome.

3 Likes

A view from the Flower Cottage yesterday morning in the fog

13 Likes

New addition to DIX park, in the Pine Trees of the Big Field:

19 Likes

The big upgrade to Dix we’ve all been waiting for!!

On a serious note, those are a nice welcomed addition.

4 Likes

Nice idea - might be nicer to have them spaced further out, though. Not because of social distancing, but just because if you want to sit in a hammock and relax, you might not want to do it 3 feet from other people. But it’s a good idea.

9 Likes

Oh that’s just f*king awesome. Probably gonna have to get there at the asscrack of dawn to secure one once Spring officially rolls in though! :joy:

2 Likes

I think that is the new Dix Park homeless shelter.

2 Likes

There are also some swing sets going in around the big field it appears, and some new tables and benches. The pop-up disc golf course is pretty cool too. Snapped this yesterday.

10 Likes

Strategic planning at its best!

Did anyone read today’s story of the proposed bond/s for Dix Park?

https://www.newsobserver.com/news/local/counties/wake-county/article249947904.html

3 Likes

Can you give a summary, I’m not a subscriber

1 Like

I did. And I thought a bond had already been passed a couple of years ago.

1 Like

Looks like they never did… https://raleighnc.gov/SupportPages/parks-and-greenway-bond-projects

1 Like