Downtown Library and Books Stores

Would love to see a review…if you would be so kind? :smiley:

1 Like

I’ve been there several times, and have also taken the formal tour. I literally teared up with pride as an alum when I experienced what they have done there. It’s pretty spectacular.

7 Likes

My mom works at the Hunt library and I’ve never actually been there…

What else would this thread be about…?

Ok, now to the more interesting questions.

In terms of pure book readership, I have no clue (and that seems more like an inverse problem to begin with, anyways). But if you look past your cheap stereotypes and elementary school preconceptions, like what a lot of people here have already pointed out, today’s libraries are no longer just a public warehouse of old, secondhand books.

Today’s libraries -the ones that know what they’re doing, anyways- are teaching both kids and adults important technical skills to keep up with the workforce, letting CPAs volunteer to help out with taxes (see Chapel Hill), giving city halls a way to reach out to citizens, and housing great ice cream shops (see Hunt Library).

This is starting to feel similar to what people keep saying in the branding or investment threads: maybe we need to change the language we use to talk about libraries? If libraries don’t seem to be worth a major investment, is there a more multi-purpose (BUT STILL MEANINGFUL) way to make it feel worthwhile?

5 Likes

I guess the design might be too far along, but the City could’ve included 2-3 floors for a library on the bottom levels of the new Civic Tower. Or do the same for the Phase 2 tower.

7 Likes

That’s an excellent idea @mike.
@keita The rebranding of libraries as Learning Commons has been pretty wide spread, especially on college campuses, for the last 20 years or more, usually by librarians, in the face of the argument that the computer and then internet make traditional libraries redundant and archaic. So you are right, let the general rebranding begin!

4 Likes

At my community college the library (now demolished, to be rebuilt) was called the “Learning Resource Center.” It was a bit confusing as a new student looking for a building I wouldn’t have known by any other name, but it was probably more accurate because of all the different resources offered there beyond just traditional library services.

1 Like

If this actually happens, it would be a great opportunity to showcase local artists and display historical collections. It could see collaborations between the NC Museum of History, the NC Archives, City of Raleigh Museum, UNC, NCSU, Duke, etc. Lots of libraries have those kinds of displays. I think it would be a nice addition. The federal building downtown that @dtraleigh mentioned was built in the 1870s and would be a wonderful choice, though I think we’re probably just daydreaming about the whole thing for now.

5 Likes

My vote would be to honor the heritage of the former site of the Baptist Female University, now Meredith College.

It’s partly occupied by the North Carolina Bar Association and presently another wasted, state-owned, flat top parking lot. And, it may be on the BRT corridor as well.

6 Likes

The obvious solution is to locate the new Downtown library at Downtown South. That way the stadium and library folks each have something to get excited about!

5 Likes

Just be sure to jack it up on a pedestal of parking.

3 Likes

I really think that we’re up to something here, don’t laugh :joy:
If Raleigh is truly an educated city, with great schools and universities why not have a truly unique and new type of library? Think :thinking: on this before you knock it down. And I’ll add more on the ideas for Raleigh thread later…:thinking::blush:

5 Likes

You better find a new City Council if you want anything unique, creative, or approved.

2 Likes

Again, there’s the James B. Hunt Library at NC State. It’s truly world class, and possibly the most forward library across many states.

2 Likes

Libraries are essential to any successful city. There is overwhelming evidence to support this. Also, I visited this amazing city library a few months ago:

9 Likes

The Cary Regional Library opened in downtown Cary this weekend. More than 3,700 people visited on opening day and checked out nearly 4,000 books. I guess people really still do like libraries after all.

10 Likes

That still pales in comparison to Wegman’s opening day (which is sad), but I am impressed with those numbers for a library.

8 Likes

People in the Triangle sure like something new.

3 Likes

Easy fix: Put a Food Hall, bottle shop, and cafe INSIDE the library.

9 Likes

Put a library in Wegman’s

1 Like