Duke/Progress awful street level

Tells us how you really feel. :wink: :joy:
Seriously, the street level arcade is truly horrible, and in a way, it reminds me of Cameron Village’s translucent tube arcades of the late 80s, early 90s. Maybe it’s just that aesthetic?

3 Likes

I’m just guessing here of course but I’m sure the city saved a little money not having to plant trees, lay out benches, etc on this section due to the Duke’s willingness to overhaul this arcade. To me, I take it someone WANTED this thinking it might highlight their building and street-level retail spaces.

Honestly, they should have just removed what they had and let the city do the Fayetteville Street thing right in front. At this point, the oaks would be pretty tall and it would have felt pretty nice to walk by.

Is it a factor in their mediocre attempt at ground-floor retail? Maybe, maybe not but something is wrong on this section of Fayetteville Street.

4 Likes

Seems like they could just take down the ‘arcade’ structure and dress up the facade a little more. I’m sure Plaza Cafe would appreciate the extra visibility and maybe something could finally last in that corner spot where Tulum was and the Italian spot before it. Jimmy John’s and Happy+Hale are packed during lunch, and they’re literally steps away.

2 Likes

How far back does the arcade go? Could this date back to when Fayetteville was a pedestrian street?

I found a picture from that time… looks like the arcade was added later.
Imgur

6 Likes

This photo from the real estate records might be cutting it off so not sure if this is helpful. It looks like there isn’t anything there but 2008 seems too soon.

EC091715

Here’s the oldest photo. It’s the wrong side that we’re talking about but at the same time has the same style of awning over the Wilmington Street entrance. My guess would be the old arcade over Fayetteville Street and Wilmington were put in at the same time.

I like your guess that it went in with the Fayetteville Street Mall so that’s 1970s.

0003F601

6 Likes

@dtraleigh Thank Leo! I agree, 2008 seems too recent. But maybe not too many years before that time. I’m loving the old pictures!

1 Like

I’m getting shut down by Jesse for thinking out loud about what might look better because Duke won’t do it. Great. They won’t do it. What are we talking about then?

1 Like

I remember it being there in the early 00’s. The old ‘bubble’ awnings were a tinted plastic. The supports were covered in bumper stickers.

5 Likes

mystery solved. thanks!