Five Points, East End Market, & Raleigh Iron Works

Interior Lobby renovations already underway

11 Likes

That’s cool, but this thread is only about watches now. Sorry.

1 Like

with that…boutique hifi have a chance? or is it already in raleigh elsewhere.

Drove by Iron Works today and it looked absolutely packed for a Lunar New Year market. Perfect type of event that makes use of those massive parking decks.

Beating a dead horse on this one though: there was a group of about 20 people standing on the NW corner of Atlantic/Whittaker Mill intersection waiting to run across to Wilson’s. If the pedestrian bridge is going to be delayed at all or maybe not happen, the city HAS to put in a crosswalk, like right now. They honestly should have both a bridge and a crosswalk, but the current setup is so dangerous.

25 Likes

I’ve driven by Ironworks a lot and have seen people waiting to cross the street countless times. It’s just absurd and embarrassing that there’s not an easy way to cross the street here. Sadly in this city, it will take someone getting killed probably to awaken the urgency of needing a safe way to cross the street here.

8 Likes

Yeah the danger is definitely going to get worse at night when both areas become more built up and people walk from side to side. But there were some families with strollers and young kids waiting to cross, which just feels like a disaster waiting to happen.

3 Likes

Who’s at fault here? The city of the developers?

It’s inexcusable that there isn’t a crosswalk there.

2 Likes

I’d blame the city on this one. Either it should have been included as a condition for the development or the city should have already done it knowing this was coming in.

4 Likes

Why would the city resist putting in a crosswalk there? Maybe I’m naive, but it seems like an expensive way to save lives. What goes into it other than some paint, a few crosswalk signals and push buttons, and a traffic study?

1 Like

Sneak peek

10 Likes

I want to go see a movie there now

2 Likes

I have heard they’re going to have some sort of deal worked out with A24 to premiere their movies there so we’ll at least be getting some new-to-theaters movies from them. Lunchmeat and this other local guy are doing a monthly Grindhouse double feature as well.

6 Likes

I think @JonathanMelton was investigating this. If Atlantic Ave is an NCDOT road I believe that adds some complexity. Maybe the grading is tough there too. In any case though, I really hope something is done before anyone gets seriously hurt or dies.

4 Likes

It is confounding how bad the pedestrian connectivity in that area is. Whitaker Mill Rd is arguably worse with its complete lack of sidewalks for no apparent reason since it is a pretty low-volume road that at its narrowest point is three lanes wide.

3 Likes

Agree although reducing car lanes and adding a bike lane on Whitaker made a big difference and pretty sure it has sidewalks all the way down. If you mean Wake Forrest they’ve been talking about doing the sidewalk project (and Oxford Rd) for years and I’ve yet to see movement.

2 Likes

They’re talking about E. Whitaker Mill Rd East of Wake Forest Rd. There’s no sidewalks there. West of Wake Forest Rd, East Whitaker Mill does have sidewalks and a bike lane.

One advantage of the separated bike lanes is that I’ve seen plenty of people use them as designated sidewalks/walking paths. Granted it’s not pleasant for cyclists since they are back further in the Road, but this is the result of having no sidewalks. This is one reason why I’d be ok with having wider sidewalk multi-use paths. This way it’s a shared 10 ft path instead of a shared 5 ft lane.

2 Likes

ah. Got it and agree

Here is a link to the Wake Forest Rd sidewalk project.
They claim will be complete by Fall 2024. This has taken forever.

Internet Archive tells me that on Jan 2022, the project status was:
Early 2022: Advertise for Construction Bids
Spring 2022: Award Construction Bids
Early 2023: Project Complete

On Jan 2021, it was suppose to be complete by Fall 2022.

Will see if this ever gets built.

5 Likes

I’d personally rather see a sidewalk on Whitaker Mill than on this stretch of Wake Forest. There isn’t much to walk to where this sidewalk is proposed. You can already get to most of these businesses by walking through parking lots.