Future Residential Project on the Former Edison Office Tower Site

It’ll be nuts to have 301H and Edison go up at the same time. Even if they’re just 20-something-story buildings.

It must have been something back when the (at that time) two tallest buildings were under construction with a year of each in 1990/1991.

Source:wikipedia
2and3tallestRaleigh

10 Likes

This is more likely. 7 floors of office. Right building. Smaller than skyhouse.

5 Likes

When is this one from?

IDK they keep changing the design. At this point who knows what is the final specs but given the developer–I wouldn’t keep my hopes up.

1 Like

For sure but would be very disappointed if they wasted a vacant lot zoned for 40 on that.

3 Likes

Don’t they need an anchor tenant? Advanced Auto Parts?

4 Likes

Maybe Redhat expansion?

Nice article in the TBJ about IBM taking over Redhat.

IBM’s plan for Red Hat? Expanding it “probably much more rapidly than they necessarily could have on their own.”

7 Likes

I remember those going up. They kicked off a glut in office space downtown and coincided with/helped cause a recession.

1 Like

That’s most likely referring to the customer base rather than physical space.

Sorry to be a plebian, But I’ve been looking at this thread and scrolling around, figured since ya’ll are so kind you wouldn’t mind me asking.

I searched around and I got to figuring this project was canceled. I thought the Edison people were all gone. I heard some rumors of a redesign or something, but I have not heard anything substantial.

The Edison was supposed to break ground a while ago right?
Is it still gonna be a thing or is it all off?
Where Can I find the info on this?

Thanks again ya’ll.

The last of the 4 ‘Edison’ parcels/sites is now owned by Highwoods. The two renderings farther up the thread are Highwoods renderings. The original Edison rendering of a 40+ story building was nothing more than that…a rendering. The Highwoods stuff has real financial backing once they reach their confidence threshold to proceed…they don’t often proceed on spec but have from time to time. With a major or a couple of minor tenants I imagine they might start seeking approvals. As of now I don’t think even a site plan has been submitted. Correct me on details folks.

5 Likes

I figured it was to good to be true. Probably won’t be till 2021+ I guess.

I think they are something of a wildcard. Highways is a publicly traded company and oscillates between bold/aggressive and careful to the point of indecision. I think they are about where we all are (those who invest)…do you pull money out now if you think a recession of some sort is coming or are you missing more gains? Also, how many tenants are looking downtown now that Pendo is accounted for? Is slow steady growth in office uptake enough to build 19 stories on spec? I think its actually something of a tough office development environment for people like them who tend to think bigger-ish.

2 Likes

More specifically, they are a REIT (Real Estate Investment Trust).

1 Like

To be honest, if I was a developer, I would be terrified to build on spec. 3 years ago? Hell yah, but now? We are in one of the longest bull markets in history, and while short term it does not look like it will slow, two+ years out is hazy. A developer building a 19+ story building on spec has to look 2+ years out and weigh all the factors.

6 Likes

@nipper.dwight posted 6 days ago that plans for this project would be submitted soon. Now soon does not necessarily mean a few days or even a few weeks but I’ll personally take @nipper.dwight’s information to the bank. Submission of plans is just the first step and it’s hard to draw any reliable conclusions from that fact alone, but when they are released we’ll at least know the scope of the project, if not much else.

4 Likes

Thanks John ! I’m really looking forward to see the plans too !

6 Likes

But I feel like we heard soon, 2 years ago. And Highwoods is fine with getting a site plan approved then sitting back a while longer. I imagine they’d do that parallel to their prospectus work.

New name for the Edison is the “Edge.” What the…

8 Likes

That article doesn’t seem legit to me