Former News & Observer Site - Nexus Office Tower

17 posts were merged into an existing topic: Big Box Retail in DTR

It’s pretty neat how many green rooftop spaces there are. This tower should have the most trees and landscaping on it of any in downtown.
Nexus-15storyOffice

9 Likes

It will certainly improve the tan and beige drab look of that area of Downtown when taking skyline shots from the west.

5 Likes

3 posts were merged into an existing topic: Big Box Retail in DTR

This is purely speculation, but I wonder if the Raleigh Urban Design Center has plans to connect Fayetteville St. and Salisbury St. They posted this today on twitter, and they have both crosswalks in front and behind their property. Missing link between Moore Square and Nash square once Nexus is complete.

1 Like

This is the rear of the property, I believe they own the whole building.

1 Like

Could you imagine an indoor walk-through street with tiny vendors on the side. Like Burlington Arcade in London.

6 Likes

Or this one in London, England?

1 Like

That’s the same place, lol. I was just there. Very high-end shopping ‘high street’ area.

2 Likes

Here’s the picture showing just how thin the Arcade is.

4 Likes

Or this one in Asheville?

2 Likes

Or City Center in DC. Though it’s probably more high end then we would see in DTR

4 Likes

Right but the Burlington Arcade is designed to maximize the extremely limited space available. Each vendor is limited to only between 50 to 100 square feet. Which is what, if this is the future of this property, will have to do. Each space is only 5 feet wide!

This is a good thing as this it will make the property very ‘cozy’ and ‘intimate’ versus larger spaces that can feel bland, cavernous, soulless. Like our dying malls. Very trendy and a cultural asset for Raleigh if made this way.

1 Like

That is the Grove Arcade in Asheville. Opened in 1929 as a indoor shopping center, with original plans for 14 story office tower over the center. Little thing called the Great Depression caused it to be stopped at 5 floors. Was converted to all offices, I think for the weather service archives, and only restored and opened back up for shopping around 2000.
Side note: after the Great Depression Asheville kind of died and only in last 25 years or so recovered, but up side is means downtown is full of Art Deco buildings. Was just not economical to tear them down to build anything new for 60 years.

6 Likes

I walked all around downtown Saturday with my pup and kept circling in on nash square. Once the Nash hotel, Nexus, and city campus projects are built this is going to be the street level activation center of downtown, close enough to Glenwood and warehouse to walk, close enough to Moore square to walk. It’s already really great, and the proposed projects are going to transform this area!

13 Likes

Can’t wait for construction to start and see Nexus Tower become a reality with only 20 stories tall it will indeed transform DTR.

2 Likes

It would be even better still if we could somehow convince the DOT to tame the twin freeways!

1 Like

I have an idea!!

4 Likes

Was that for real?

xx

Yes, but turned in to Raleigh Blvd just east of there. IN 1972 Oakwood was just a bunch of old run down houses. Most divided into multiple apartments.

1 Like