Future Residential Project on the Former Edison Office Tower Site

How about we just utilize the emoji more often? :thinking:

@dtraleigh ā€¦is there a new emoji that would be best for this or can YOU create a new one??? :crossed_fingers:

After ā€œthis-oneā€: :grin: :joy:

How about I just rename the thread. There.

If something new happens, weā€™ll rename it to that new thing.

9 Likes

This happens for half the threads here. Still waiting on the Willardā€¦ :sob:

2 Likes

Itā€™s weird because I know several architects and they are all cool, interesting, laid back people. And do good work. I think its the writing in that article has this ā€œwell no you idiotā€ discreet thing to it. Like, how can anyone whoā€™s not an architect or student of architecture, be able to get all of these details organized in their heads? The whole idea that their are hundreds and thousands of nuanced styles of buildings feels like an attempt exaggerate the importance of architecture, and cement (ha, pun, kinda), its status as an art and demean the practical aspects. We get it article writer guys, youā€™re an artist and once in a while youā€™ll try and explain it to the masses but you really prefer the company of the other artists and your benefactors. And by the way, your HVAC system isnā€™t to code and your roof is twice as heavy as you think it is.

Yeah, thatā€™s just who Kate Wagner isā€¦ sheā€™s not even an architect, for the record, but part of the appeal of her blog is the ā€œIā€™m going to explain this to you like an assholeā€ persona. Thatā€™s how she went viral. Sheā€™s a writer.

The whole idea that their are hundreds and thousands of nuanced styles of buildings feels like an attempt exaggerate the importance of architecture and cement its status as an art and demean the practical aspects.

Iā€™m not sure why an architect would ever want to demean the practical aspects of our work. Thatā€™s literally what our job is ā€“ to create spaces that improve peopleā€™s lives by being both beautiful and functional. That said, architecture is inherently similar to art in that it is a constantly evolving creative field, and historians aim to classify different philosophies and ways of thinking by giving them a name. Architects themselves do not ever talk about style in our work. Likeā€¦ Iā€™ve literally never once in my life had a conversation with an architect about style, because thatā€™s not how we think about design. We donā€™t even focus on style in school beyond historical movements and specific notable works.

In my experience, style is more of a preoccupation by architectural historians and the general public, who use it as a way to make sense of architecture. Take one look at r/architecture on reddit and youā€™ll notice half the posts are by non-architects asking to classify a building.

2 Likes

I think you may have hit in on the head for me finallyā€¦itā€™s not the architects, but the architecture pundits. I appreciate you talking me through thisā€¦Iā€™m really donā€™t mean to offend, but something obviously had me rubbed the wrong way and I was having a hard time getting at it.

1 Like

I cringe every time I see a house from the 70s described as mid-century modern. This is always a cue to me that the ā€œcriticā€ doesnā€™t have a strong background in design, as either a professional or historian.
I agree that most architects arenā€™t obsessed with a style in their work. While they are definitely influenced by design history, they are mainly problem solvers that have to work within a budget and a schedule to satisfy their client. A good architect will influence and guide their client to have the best solution possible that will go beyond their clientā€™s stated goals. Architects are also at their best when they are public stewards in what they do by paying attention to context and community. While this doesnā€™t require them to copy whatā€™s existing, a good architect will pay attention to scale, materials, the landscape and community experiences, and go beyond just what a client and the municipality require of a design.

5 Likes

Well put. This is why Iā€™m not a fan of the most famous in our field ā€“ the Zaha Hadids and Frank Gehrys of the world ā€“ who make design about their own personal brand, like an artist or sculptor. Authentic design grows from its site and cultural context, and not from a style applied like a coat of paint.

Architects are also at their best when they are public stewards in what they do by paying attention to context and community.

This is also why I love doing what I do! Working on civic and cultural buildings in the public realm is an opportunity to build community and thoughtfully respond to context in ways most of the proposals posted on these boards donā€™t. I consider these to be basic elements of good architecture though, which is why Iā€™m often critical of the throwaway designs that are typical of many developers.

5 Likes

Oh darn.
With the Willard Hotel (seemingly) starting, and 400H kicked into go mode,ā€¦ when I saw several posts here, I was hoping to see ā€˜Edison is habbening people!ā€™

Lol guess we canā€™t get greedy.

I still waiting for the lashings on those that keep posting in this thread causing the false excitement.

After my post that isā€¦

5 Likes
1 Like

Hate to even post in this topic, but Bill King of Downtown Raleigh Alliance had some presentation slides at the CC Hotel Sites 3&4 Pre-Bid. Had the rendering below. But also had outdated renderings for Nexus and Gateway, for what its worthā€¦

:man_shrugging: :man_shrugging: :man_shrugging:

11 Likes

My brain canā€™t even figure out this shape

3 Likes

Maybe itā€™s computationally designed as a windbreaker, haha. That corner is the windiest area in the city.

Also I hope not, itā€™s smaller than the Skyhouse.

LOL itā€™s like that movie Inceptionā€¦

8 Likes

Haha yeah pretty much. Sure hope whatever this is wouldnā€™t actually come to fruition. But it does remind me of just how bad this empty space NEEDS to be filled.

1 Like

1 Like

I donā€™t hate it. Looks 21 stories: 14 office, 7 parking. The facade is a bit wackadoodle, but itā€™s certainly interesting. I like the side of the building rather than the wider front. And the two-tone is great. But it looks no different from FNB and Charter Square, which is upsetting.

2 Likes

This site: Raleigh needs more interesting architecture, all we get are short boxes!!!

Also this site: No not like that!!! :joy: :joy: :joy:

14 Likes

Highwoods has a lot of capital invested in Nashville and Charlotte. Not sure if their home city is a priority anymore (new construction).

2 Likes