Garner- Closest suburb to Downtown

When leaving downtown via S. Saunders, my experience perspective is that I’m “in Garner” as soon as I cross under the Beltline. I know that’s not the case, but it just feels that way to me. I say this because I can’t emphasize enough how important it is for Raleigh to lead its little brother into the future. If land use and development changed along that entire S. Saunders/S.Wilmington/US70 corridor, it would make a huge difference to Garner’s future. I’ve all but abandoned that route when I go to Garner for big box shopping. I take Hammond/Timber now, partly because it’s a more pleasant experience.

3 Likes

Thanks! They’ve apparently stopped updating the GarnerBiz website, but they’ve got a Facebook page that they’re still updating, so I went ahead and followed it. That’ll be an awesome resource. Thank you!

The project on Aversboro is apparently called Minglewood Townhomes and will be 96 townhouses on 15 acres. That’s not all that dense for townhouses, but way better than a bunch of R-3 SFDH, which is what all of the surrounding area is, so that’s really cool to hear. That’s such a great location, near the new YMCA and White Deer Park, and within walking distance of a supermarket. Those will fill up in a hurry.

3 Likes

OMG, you guys, the comments on this GarnerBiz Facebook page every time they post about a new housing development. It’s like the McSweeney’s parody of every NIMBY’s speech at a public hearing, except for real.

5 Likes

You should see the NextDoor comments :roll_eyes:

NextDoor is toxic. Stay away!!!
It’s just a big pile of fearmongering.

5 Likes

So the the new BBQ & Bourbon restaurant is coming along. No clue what it will be called but it’s what DT Garner needs for certain.

And now there is a rumor of a…wait for it…Great Wolf Lodge coming to Garner!!!..or should I say “Garnier”!!!:rofl:

5 Likes

That’s been a rumor for 5+ years now. I actually was starting to wonder what the latest was about it. Would be great to see the Raleigh area get something like this.

1 Like

“We are totally looking to expand … not at this juncture in North Carolina,” said Great Wolf Lodge spokesperson Jason Lasecki

Straight from the article you posted. Sounds like a lot of hype about nothing.

1 Like

Why be so cynical? Where there’s smoke there’s fire? Who the hell wants to go to charlotte USA anyway? Williamsburg is at least somewhat cool…

Garnier on the other hand…!

2 Likes
1 Like

I saw the same article this morning. With Cabela’s/white Oak, Amazon, and the beginnings of downtown revitalization in Garner, things do appear to be finally aligning for Garners resurrection as a nice option for people. The fact that it’s the closest to Downtown Raleigh should help Raleigh as well as the area just south of 440 gentrifies and helps continue to encourage the revitalization of South Raleigh.

2 Likes

Ha! I was wondering if I was the only one who never heard of a downtown Garner, and I lived here my whole life. Will have to ask some Garner friends why they were holding out on me.

Morning coffee in Downtown Garner

13 Likes

We could use some of this on our bleak parking garage walls in SmoHo/GlenSo.

4 Likes

This sounds like a job for Donna Belt!!! @jasdelaney

3 Likes

Developer planning to repurpose a building in downtown Garner into a ‘distillery’. TBJ has a report of it…

11 Likes

https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2020/11/11/garner-seeks-developer-for-downtown-project.html

Downtown Garner on the rise!!! Well, maybe a giant parking deck on the rise…

BEST SHIRT EVER

8 Likes

Garner: Raleigh’s Bottom.

^ How about this one.

2 Likes

I went to Garner HS back in the 60’s when you could buy a line in the high school yearbook for $1 and make a comment. The best ever was “Garner is but a hair in the greater armpit of Raleigh”.

2 Likes

We have to give them some credit for trying in all seriousness. Garner has had a bad rap for years. It has had the benefit of being the closest suburb to Downtown but the disadvantage of the proximity being next to SE Raleigh.

We all know SE Raleigh is transforming for the better at a rapid clip and Garner, particularly Downtown Garner is starting to change. Houses are getting restored…like the one below, a distillery is opening, and the Town is clearly trying to make investments to hopefully get finally “get some of the love” the other ‘burbs have enjoyed for years…

8 Likes