General Retail/Restaurant News

Is it in that old warehouse next to the BP? That is a cool building, like 1920’s or so based on the interior. There has always been a sort of community or separate neighborhood character here (old purple house from about 1890 kind of by the Bussies) and its really continued to nicely evolve that way over time. The 1950’s era had US 1 running down Wake Forest Rd so that helped it building up some, then when US 1 moved east, that sort of let it freeze in time. Now the slow, organic current evolution is adding to the 1950’s feel pretty well I think. Iron District might be a little cheesy. In the introductions thread someone mentioned downtown needing more identifiable neighborhoods but I think this is a good non-downtown version. I believe this area was simply called ‘Northside’ in the 50’s so perhaps we could just roll with that…

1 Like

Yes, that building with the arched roofs. Could be very cool.

1 Like

I had a conversation with the retail owner of the space way back before I cared much about history, bit I think he said it simply used to store barrels of oil or something like that. Vintage industrial /warehouse stuff that far out is rare around here though the Raleigh Bonded Warehouse is that as well and listed as a National Register property as a result…just to give some idea of the intrinsic value of the building (era+location)

1 Like

Rendering.

8 Likes

Here is the building as it currently sits. This isn’t the most pedestrian friendly area, but with the addition of Wilson, LBC, & all of Dock 1053 its beginning to evolve that direction. But still extremely car dependent.

2 Likes

The City really needs add the normal streetscape stuff. Capital Creations is right down the hill and Snoopys across the street and some early 2000’s townhouses down the hill and the whole area at the new House of Hops. Its become a thriving area all on its own and the CIty needs to do its part.

3 Likes

A sidewalk streetscape project in this area would be most welcome. I work over at Dock 1053 a couple days a week and you really can’t get anywhere on foot. I’ve heard multiple people complain that even getting to the bus stop on Wake Forest is too dangerous right now because of lack of sidewalks.

3 Likes

Is that building for sale now.

New Men’s apparel store opening in the L building on McDowell called Ealdwine. Opens today at 4pm with a ribbon cutting ceremony, with food and drinks.

https://www.downtownraleigh.org/do/ealdwine-grand-opening

4 Likes

(It says the opening ceremony is next Friday.)

Your right Friday April 5th.

Elevations for Sam Jones’ restaurant on Lenoir St:

11 Likes

Nice we’re going to have neighborhoods that are distinguish by how delicious they smell. Just like Krispy Kremeland–formerly called Oakwood.

6 Likes

Check out Barcelona Wine Bar in the Dillon. Open since Sunday I thought I was in NYC with that decor, nicely done!

(I have no affiliation with the venue just happy I get some nice cured sausages, cheese, wine in a pretty place :))

4 Likes

I can’t wait to go. Watched it getting built and it looks so nice, and then I saw pictures of the food.

Saving it for date night. It’s not cheap. I think I spent close to $200 at the DC location last time.

1 Like

Same. Went to the one in Reston Town Center and spent quite a few bucks.

Side note: Reston Town Center felt a lot like North Hills. I was not surprised to learn that Barcelona was coming to a Kane property as it felt like it would be right at home.

Even with Barcelona there’s still room in downtown Raleigh for an authentic working class tapas/pintxos/pinchos bar. Add that to the list of why we need skinny retail spaces.

Oh man do I miss my pinchos in Spain.

11 Likes

That looks utterly fantastic! Wow!!

Thank you for keeping that narrative alive. I’ve been saying this for years and I’m glad to have passionate company on that topic!!!

5 Likes