GoRaleigh Bus System, now and the future

From what it seems to me, the local lanes (frontage roads) on Capital will be two to four lanes wide, and would be a free alternative to tolled free-flowing bypass lanes that would be basically equivalent to what’s there today already on Capital.

1 Like

That’s why all the other transit initiatives around Raleigh are super important, too.

Remember that GoRaleigh’s already in the process of running buses inside 440 that come every 15 minutes or less. This is one of the big goals in the Wake Transit Plan for 2027:

There’s also the Midtown-St. Albans study that’s been mentioned in a few other threads. This plan still needs to be ratified by the Planning Commission and City Council, though.

Finally, there’s the RTA’s “freeway-and-street-based transit” (FAST) study to run faster, more frequent, and more reliable buses. What this means and what this looks like is still a mystery, but they’re planning on putting out some recommendations on July 17th.

You’re right in that transit will continue to be a challenge outside of BRT corridors. …but the ways to mitigate those risks are right in front of us, too.

7 Likes

You’re a freaking rockstar with this stuff. I have so much trouble keeping track of all the different studies and groups that are facilitating those studies.

5 Likes

Once you stare at government documents for long enough, it all just kinda clicks in your head -and then, it’s not too hard to google the right things :joy:

6 Likes

While I was citing my sources for a different post, I came across something interesting: Raleigh applied for CARES Act aid for transit (among other needs), and the FTA gave us a $29M grant to make up for COVID-related project cuts. This grant (no local matching or payback required) basically means some of the projects that were put on ice due to COVID-related funding cuts can come back online!

The city recommended breaking this money up as follows:

• $1.2M: cover FY20 operating costs (incl. cleaning supplies, PPE)
  • $5.7M: “cover operating expenses and any net deficit in FY21” if needed
  • $3.8M: hold in reserve -or- cover for FY22 funding needs/net deficit
  • $19M: restart these planning/construction projects:

(By the way, the CARES Act also gave $2.8M to help people with urgent housing needs. I wrote more about this in a different thread.)

12 Likes

Just posted this thread on Twitter, but I thought I’d drop it here as well in case anyone has any input.

Really wish there was some kind of overnight park-and-ride in West Raleigh that linked up to @GoTriangle Route 100. Be really nice for those of us who aren’t super close to downtown but don’t want to pay for an Uber or airport parking.

I’m guessing that’s one of the considerations of the current park-and-ride study, but even something temporary that can be implemented quickly would be nice. Perhaps take advantage of one of these lots.

Not that any of my followers care about this. But I think it’d help in attracting more transit users in a post-COVID Triangle. Everyone’s looking for an easy way to get to the airport, even people who prefer cars.

And before anyone suggests using the park-and-ride lot at Regional Transit Center, I’m pretty sure GoTriangle discourages overnight parking there.

Thoughts?

5 Likes

The lot on the corner of Blue Ridge and Trinity Rd would make a great park-and-ride spot.When I was without a Car for about a Year I took the 100 to get to RTC, and transfer to the 300, Bus would drop me off in front of my Job. Also the GoRaleigh 27 bus stops there, so the 100 and the 27 stop at that corner. Even though I drive to work, there are times when I do take the Bus when I don’t need to drive.

3 Likes

New GoTriangle survey out about what things you would want to prioritize/de-prioritize with the loss of revenue from the pandemic: http://wakeinput.metroquest.com/

5 Likes

What if we had zero-fare buses in the Triangle, even if you don’t live near a university or are under 18 or over 65? The RTA wondered that, too, and asked the engineering firm HDR yesterday to see just how ridiculous that idea is.

And the evidence makes it look …pretty realistic???

So realistic, in fact, that HDR is suggesting that, for six months:

• GoRaleigh, GoDurham, and GoTriangle try out zero-fare weekends

• GoCary tries out zero-fare weekends or 7-days-a-week free transit

How could zero-fare transit be a civic duty?

See article here.

I said 'zero-fare' and NOT 'fare-free' on purpose

See article here.

Pros and cons of zero-fare transit
The dirty secret of fare revenue
This sounds cool. When will this happen?
5 Likes

I’m not a big fan of a full implementation of zero-fare because Triangle transit agencies need all the funding they can get right now (especially with NCDOT’s strong prioritization of highways over transit). That being said, I think fare-free weekends are brilliant. Some drivers might give transit a shot because it’s free, which will lead them to consider using it for their weekday commute. I hope at least one of the agencies gives it a shot.

2 Likes

What if it was free rides between 7-9 and 4-6 to encourage taking the bus instead of sitting in traffic?

5 Likes

Assuming fares cover 10% of costs, and that 10% extra money can be raised somehow, the question is (as always) what is better for the public: eliminating fares or adding 10% more service?

I am not sure what the answer is, but using Chapel Hill as an example, within 2 years of going fare free, ridership increased by about 90%.

Sounds like a pretty good deal to me?

7 Likes

Don’t disagree with you there… I just know how difficult it is for these agencies to get funding as it is, so until something changes (like a fuel tax increase, tolling, or congestion pricing, which I’m all for), we’re kind of just screwing them over.

Unless, of course, the increase in ad space utilization on the bus fleet (which would inevitably follow a ridership increase) compensates for the loss in revenue.

1 Like

I think the idea is that agencies could try out zero-fare transit in the near future once they have the information to convince them. The current fight is to get someone to agree on a six-month test run; no one is saying we should immediately make this a thing, right this minute (especially since it’ll take time, anyways).

I feel like GoTriangle buses, especially, don’t pursue this anywhere as much as they could. So that could be a good idea!

…though I’m not entirely sure if it’s worth it go as far as Chapel Hill Transit does:

(via Capital Wraps, which conveniently has a shop just north of RDU)

What about corporate sponsorships for bus stops? Similar to adopt-a-road programs or SunRail’s Tupperware station.

6 Likes

Chapel Hills getting 10 new electric buses. What happened to GoRaleigh’s electric fleet, I haven’t seen a single electric bus out.

3 Likes

I think the four or five they ordered are supposed to arrive in spring. Pretty sure it usually takes Proterra about 1-1.5yrs to fulfill requests due to backorders and the fact that they’re still a relatively small op.

4 Likes

I asked GoRaleigh, their response is: “We are hoping to receive 5 electric buses late 2020. Thank you.”

6 Likes

Sweet! I’ve been waiting to ride one of those. Haven’t had a chance to ride any of the GoTriangle ones because my commute changed to just a GoRaleigh route.

1 Like

Greensboro has had a bunch of them for well over a year now

Aye, and RDU has had theirs for close to a year as well. But I rarely go to Greensboro, and I always get rides to the airport.