GoRaleigh Bus System, now and the future

If it makes anyone feel any better, Charlotte’s silver line and new bus transit station are almost certainly going to crash and burn harder than the DOLRT.

Eh got to give it to Charlotte they find ways to get something done and fast. We’re still pre-BRT. Memphis, TN planned BRT 2 years later than Raleigh and will have service 1 year earlier if all goes to plan.

5 Likes

Well that’s not very fun, I want both cities to do well. Just Raleigh sliiiightly more well.

4 Likes

Um, the Memphis documents show their service beginning in 2027 - I believe the New Bern BRT route is scheduled to begin service by 2026. I also did not see any additional BRT routes in Memphis beyond the planned mConnect line, while Raleigh has a system of four routes planned (and if we’re looking at things from a metro area perspective, Chapel Hill’s planned North-South line will make five BRT routes in the Triangle area).

6 Likes

Still see no construction progress on raleigh BRT.

Your expectations are off my man. Construction is planned for this summer right now. See the schedule.

14 Likes

Keeps getting pushed back.

Did you read what he said. This summer. Pedro Pastrana gets it more than you.

I’m not quite sure why you keep saying it’s been pushed back. The schedule has been the same for years. It hasn’t changed. They are on track to begin construction specifically when they said they would.

11 Likes

The state government operates 8500 of downtown’s parking spaces.

its a bunch…slightly encouraging perhaps is that i think the state will cover transit fares if you commute as a state employee via transit.

2 Likes

I feel like Raleigh actually does better on not having a ton of surface parking downtown compared to a lot of our peer cities and other cities in the southeast. Like we don’t have freeways downtown or blocks and blocks of surface parking like other southeastern cities.

10 Likes

We should have a freeway downtown that would accelerate our growth, but the Feds didn’t give us one. But for the parking lots yes I’ve always thought other downtown having it was just a fill in for buildings in between.

40 runs about a mile and half south. It’s maybe about a 3-5 minute drive. More housing downtown will drive up demand for more retail/jobs. No need for additional freeways.

8 Likes

Interesting how every city that has one is trying to demolish it or build a multi billion dollar land bridge to hide it

8 Likes

I thought this video has some interesting perspective on growing (currently) car oriented cities pash back on public transit. They use the term Highway Oriented Development. Which is really what the Triangle has been doing for 50 ish years.

Made me think about the discussions are commuter rail and BRT today.

3 Likes

I mean it brought growth maybe downtown south should’ve been a thing 50 years ago.

1 Like

There was a plan in the 70’s to run a below-grade, north/south freeway between Bloodworth and East streets. The destruction of the Oakwood and Mordecai neighborhoods were too steep a price and was ultimately killed by city council.

10 Likes

Yeah I think converted McDowell and Dawson streets would’ve been the right choice.

I think that the planning for the freeway was in the late 60s but it was killed in the early 70s. The couplet of McDowell running one-way N, and Dawson running one-way S was the compromise to the freeway to move traffic through downtown.
Unless the proposed freeway was to be the most neighborhood sensitive freeway in the history of the USA (doubtful), it surely would have destroyed the east side of downtown and its surrounding neighborhoods.

13 Likes