GoRaleigh Bus System, now and the future

Actually the past of transit - I never knew Martin Street used to have a viaduct over the tracks!!

10 Likes

Couple more pictures for perspective:

26 Likes

wow, thanks @oakcityyimby and @Drew for these. Fanscinating to know and look study. Sure miss the turret like towers of the old Union St and Park Hotel. These sure make you appreciate how much Raleigh has changed.

6 Likes

BRING IT BACK!!! (complete sentence)

1 Like

Interesting article about opposition to road calming efforts in North Raleigh, but it could just as easily apply to ones close-in to DTR on spots like Oakwood Boulevard. While driving I do find them incredibly annoying (especially as warning signage can be hit-or-miss), but it does make roads like that much safer places to walk my dog.

3 Likes

It’s funny the round-a-bout gets blamed for this outcome:

Clearly the driver was going too fast

12 Likes

Exactly - If you flip you car, you were going too fast. The whole point of the roundabout is to slow the traffic down.

10 Likes

It makes me laugh, sad, and frustrated to see how much some people were so vocal about this. I would love this in my neighborhood.

4 Likes

They put them on Hardimont near my neighborhood, along with some speed humps and other measures. Bunch of people bitching.

But if you go the posted speed limit, you cruise right through and over the bumps with barely an issue.

And then about 70% of people swerve into the bike lane to avoid the speed bump. :man_facepalming: of course the bike lane is pretty useless anyway because people use it as parking.

People get all upset when things change, because things aren’t what they used to be.

7 Likes

Or the way I see it, people get upset because they can’t get away with certain things like they used to. :speak_no_evil:

8 Likes

Does anyone have the site plan for the new Wade/440 interchange? With the new flyover open on the west bound lanes, I’m curious to see how this fits into the greater puzzle that is this interchange.

I drive through this everyday to and from work.

5 Likes

just one more lane, bro, I swear

10 Likes

What it looks like driving the flyover.

12 Likes

Yes, but the roundabouts are too small. They’ve got to be big enough that you have to slow down and drive around a half-circle. They’re going to have to tear up the corners of the intersection and actually make it round.

The one at Harps Mill and Bridgewater, where that car flipped, is so small you don’t even have to turn to drive through it, you just hit it at a tangent line and you’re through. It’s a like a pepsi can in the middle of the intersection, and now there’s no stop signs on either street.

2 Likes

Good place to put those scooters though. I was just walking by ours yesterday and thinking it needed a tree or something, I guess this will do.

Bonus, if some idiot flips their car on it, they’ll take out the Lime too.

7 Likes

Do you get a big bonus if you catch all cones?

isnt this sort of like what they have in ballard area of seattle?

Was in DC over the weekend, taking the Metro to Union Station, then a Amtrak heading back to Raleigh.

The station was fairly clean and so were the trains, on time every five to ten minutes.

14 Likes

What’s up with that 1978 fast food floor in the station?