The Weld, Hammell Drive Mixed-Use, Lake Wheeler Road

SLI Capital of Raleigh and Mack Real Estate Group (MREG) of New York are the development partners for the project on the west side of S. Saunders. They have bought a significant number of parcels on Saunders. The project is referred to as Hammell Drive MIxed-Use on the ASR, and as far as I know, does not have a formal name. I have intended to email the developers and ask about that, but haven’t gotten around to it. The project is definitely not related to Park City South.

5 Likes

Seems like we should have separate threads for these two projects.

5 Likes

That gets my vote. It gets confusing as it is.

5 Likes

Otherwise it’s going to turn into the thread for the developments next to the Duke Energy Center - it feels like half of that one is reminding ourselves which building belongs to which development.

3 Likes

@JWH gets the gold star for the day. Let’s start tracking the Lake Wheeler/Hammell Drive project here.

I believe that is this guy right here

And it’s still under review, since May: https://community.dtraleigh.com/t/the-raleigh-wire-service/748/1863?u=dtraleigh

20 Likes

As seen on Wednesday. Where two buildings once stood there. Caught in the act of demolition (sorry for the crappy photo though).
I took photos of this entire section of Hammel/S. Saunders on film like 2 months ago for documentation purposes to share with you all and just haven’t gotten around to scanning the prints :man_facepalming::sweat_smile::sweat_smile::sweat_smile:

22 Likes

Not sure if this is related, but there is an active demo on South saunders very close to this project.

18 Likes

New materials on site. Could these be prefab parking deck pieces?

11 Likes

Is anything under construction here? I thought this was still in planning or maybe demo was underway. If so, it’s probably for the project across the street, no? (and the other thread which I can move)

3 Likes

The ASR was recently revised and is under review.

3 Likes

I think Park City has been staging materials here as that deck is coming to life…

6 Likes

I think you’re right. Looked like they were being used on the PCS site when I drove by this morning.

As mentioned in the wrong thread, the remaining warehouse on Hammel has been removed.

Took some pics the other morning and boy howdy will this entire corridor look so different once all these projects come to fruition.

I’m also really disgusted with how prominent this deck is, blocking so much of the skyline from this angle / (temporary vantage point).

21 Likes

18 Likes

Pano https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ZV_nzS1qifDEn1uBgfapbBLaA7dnijz8/view?usp=drivesdk

3 Likes

That parking deck will be mostly wrapped with apartments (except for a small bit at the top) if I remember correctly.

13 Likes

Yes, and this street-level view won’t exist anymore in its current form once the buildings on the west side of S. Saunders are built as well. Interested in what the view from the 20th floor of this Kane project on Hammel/Lake Wheeler will be if it gets built according to the site plan. The view over Dix Park should be nice from up there, but we’ll all be ants under a magnifying glass. :mag_right:

7 Likes

I have a (possibly annoying) request; would anyone be willing to take a map of this area (Lake Wheeler / Hammell Dr / Saunders) and fill in the spots where there are confirmed developments? I’m trying to wrap my head around what the streetscape of this area will be looking like and the potential skyline expansion.

10 Likes

Here’s what iMaps shows. The red highlighted area on the north side of Hammell is just the subdivide work for the new street, but its also owned by the Hammell project team so probably future development as well.

17 Likes

I guess I meant what buildings are planned/confirmed to go on what plots here? There’s just a lot going on in this area and I’m at a point where I’m lost as to what is all actually happening!

4 Likes