Hillsborough Street Mixed Use projects near NCSU

It would be nice if the city tied rezoning to getting better design. That proposed render is a yawner.

3 Likes

Itā€™s much better than most of the other new construction on Hillsborough imoā€¦ even New City Designā€™s other projects. What the hell is that cheap yellow spray-painted looking material by the Morgan roundabout?

1 Like

This article is about the recently approved 5 story rezoning for City Plat at the intersection of Hillsborough and Bagwell. They had wanted 7 stories for a boutique hotel, but after pushback from neighbors, they revised it to 5 stories. And now the numbers donā€™t work for a hotel, so itā€™s likely going to be student housing. No planned start date, so it may be another dud for awhile. Like the hole next to Target and their other newly rezoned properties.

Also they want it to have some amazing art installation that everyone visiting Raleigh just has to get a picture of, like the Statue of Liberty.

:roll_eyes:

https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2022/04/11/cityplat-weighs-options-hillsborough-development.html

4 Likes

That was like 2 or 3 years ago that they had revised the plans to 5 floors of apartments instead of the 7 floor hotel?

Not sure if this has been shared yet but I saw this on Loop Net. There are some renderings for what CityPlat is building at 2510 Hillsborough Street. Not entirely enthused, but better than the nothing it has been for the last couple of years. Feel the rooftop bar could be a hit overlooking Hillsborough street however.

https://images1.loopnet.com/d2/u8DP6BIJK6Qc-Nj5TpWJIbFcQdtG2KDprjV5NOxKCZM/2510%20Hillsborough%20St%20%20Downtown%20Raleigh.pdf

5 Likes

I think itā€™s been like a decade, but yeah anything is better than that eyesore. I think Hillsborough St could use a few more nicer spots that people could just relax at. This would fit the bill. Any idea if this is happening soonish?

3 Likes

I have no idea tbh. I thought I saw something somewhere that mentioned 2023 but I might be dreamingā€¦

EDIT: Looked at the CityPlat website and this is what theyā€™re saying.

4 Likes

Wow it must be almost done then! :joy:

Thanks for looking that up tho.

4 Likes

BIG YAWN. What a tragic story this lot has. Once slated for a 7 or 12 story apartment tower with ground floor retail (GREAT), then abandoned for a decade (NOT GREAT), now just gonna be a 2-story bar (UGH FINE).

3 Likes

While the line drawing leaves a lot to be desired, I think that this space is going to be way better than the drawing suggests it might.
A large covered outdoor space would definitely entice me to visit it. Iā€™m just thinking about how much I like the roof of Taverna Agora on Hillsborough, and this space is going to be much larger.

5 Likes

I find myself agreeing with @John regarding the covered upstairs outdoor space. Thatā€™s one of the things I like about Top of the Hill in Chapel Hillā€¦apart from all the Carolina blue/fans everywhere in there

:wolf:

8 Likes

I feel like City Plat released these plans a year or two ago. Yet it still just sits there with no activity. If I held my breath, waiting for City Plat to develop any of their properties I would have been dead a long time ago or I would discover that Iā€™m actually an alien that doesnā€™t need air to liveā€¦ hmm

1 Like

It hasnā€™t gotten site plan approval from the city.

City Plat does not have money for development. Barely enough with some outside investors to buy the land. Small players in what has become a big player city .

Well donā€™t hold your breath my friend because it looks like, according to Alan, they donā€™t have approval yet. Hopefully, at this rate, my grandchildren can enjoy a beer at this bar.

1 Like

Yes they are a brokerage firm trying to get into development

2 Likes

https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2022/05/06/mitchs-tavern-raleigh-reopening-soon-ncstate.html?ana=TRUEANTHEMFB_RA&csrc=6398&utm_campaign=trueAnthem%3A+New+Content+(Feed)&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=facebook&fbclid=IwAR0XAhDXAcRE7AkZj4GGq-AEOwwgpUXY3cflQwCYLVdINaZOiuirdIQh8P8

Mitchā€™s Tavern is coming back. Nice lil story.

8 Likes

Sad news everyone, I heard from a manager at the Taco Bell Cantina on Hillsborough street that they will be closing their doors for good :frowning: They stopped serving alcohol a few weeks ago and when I asked if they were dropping the cantina name they told me that due to poor sales during the worst of the pandemic they would in fact be shutting down the entire storeā€¦ I havenā€™t heard anything official in the news or from Taco Bell but coming from a manager my guess is this is indeed true

1 Like

Maybe they can move it closer to the city center? Glenwood South or the Warehouse District seem to be a much better location for something like that anyway. I canā€™t even imagine how much business theyā€™d get in those locations.

3 Likes

IMO: Whatever. Itā€™s a shitty chain. Not a loss whatsoever.

2 Likes