How events drove downtown Raleigh growth. (or not?)

I can’t confirm this but I’m hearing that the city is sensitive to complaints and the Fayetteville Street big events like bike fest and sparkcon were “encouraged” to move due to business complaints (people don’t shop/eat with us) and resident complaints. (it’s too noisy)

Also, notice the dramatic drop in marathons? The city is sensitive to closing down roads due to complaints that people weren’t informed and got stuck in traffic. This is probably why the DRA doesn’t do the Farmer’s Market in City Plaza anymore.

6 Likes

Yep. I agree it’s no coincidence that Fayetteville is becoming less and less of an “event” street.

There doesn’t seem to be the need for it any more. There are so many more people downtown and in the warehouse district on a random day than there used to be. Maybe it’s time to start transitioning more events to Dix or maybe up around the State Government complex which is a ghost town on weekends. Put those empty surface lots to use.

5 Likes

Agreed. Other areas downtown can be activated with these events.

2 Likes

I agree that Fayetteville doesn’t have to be that events street anymore. For a refresher, reread the original post. I think it still stands and we’re seeing the events transition away more and more I think.

1 Like

I feel like Fayetteville St is becoming less of an anything street. It used to be my prime spot to visit when I was downtown, and now I never feel like going over there and am disappointed when I do.

1 Like

Do you guys remember the Oak City 7 weekly concert series in City Plaza? I used to go frequently. I think it moved to Dix then died? If they’re going to move things to Dix, the transit and parking needs to be better/easier otherwise they’ll do to those events what has happened to the bike festival. I don’t see Dix as ready as an alternative yet.

6 Likes

You grew up? You acquired taste? :wink:

3 Likes

They killed that by changing it from local bands to cheesy cover bands

2 Likes

My daughter played the Oak City 7 concert series once. She did some open mic stuff at Deep South and they invited her to play a set. It was pretty cool.

2 Likes

Not enough active storefronts in my opinion. Plenty of bank lobbies though. I realize new buildings can have plenty of commercial space and active street frontage, but at least half of my defense of historic commercial buildings is the concentration of retail spaces they provide and not being gouged out by huge loading bays and lobbies for tower space above. It all fits into my perfect urban-scape.

1 Like

Classic Raleigh progression… Tin Roof will probably be 95% cover bands

1 Like

Isn’t that the sort of the business model of the franchise? Did you expect otherwise?

I really didn’t know too much about it until I went in there for the first time other than it had a Nashville origin and was probably going to skew toward country. That would have been a fantastic location for a non-franchise music venue that isn’t quite so hokey.

Sounds like in needs a little competition? :wink:

At least I’ll know the songs! Hopefully no country lol

2 Likes

Not sure if this goes here or somewhere else, but Virtual Brewgaloo is going on. Purchase beer packages online and tomorrow between 3-5 you can pick them up at the Lincoln Theater “drive-thru”.

#DrinkLocal

10 Likes

#drinkathome :beers:

4 Likes

My already troubled liver might not survive the lockdown! Here in my little Alabama village far, far away from the big city living of Raleigh, I can get beer from a local restaurant in a milk jug. lol

2 Likes

Is it a milk stout? :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

2 Likes