Light Rail: What works for Raleigh

This one would have taken 10 years until completion. Raleigh is not even on the drawing board as of now. We will be old when that happens :slight_smile:

Totally agree. I have been working at Duke for the last five years and commute from Raleigh. The parking options are a disaster and traffic coming from Raleigh is insane. I make the 20 minute walk from my house to the GoRaleigh bus station, catch the bus, and then walk to my office from the bus stop making my commute an hour and a half to travel 30 miles. Duke does provide a Go Pass for a small yearly fee, but they need to work on providing other transportation options for their employees.

2 Likes

As you may recall, Wake was years behind Dorange, due to the fact that the Republican County Commission would not allow a vote on the sales tax increase to fund transit. Once that obstacle was removed, the voters put the funding source in place (years of planning & construction wasted & the Feds are not as forthcoming with funding as they once were). When Charlotte light rail was approved, Senator Elizabeth Dole supported Charlotte, but not Raleigh. Just the facts.

4 Likes

Again, Wake County made a conscious decision to not take part in light rail. GoTriangle moved on to the counties that had their ā€œactā€ together in terms of approving the transit tax early. You canā€™t say regional planners ignored Raleigh when Wake County commissioners (and the public at the time) wanted nothing to do with it. The Wake Transit Plan was approved by voters without light rail as a component.

3 Likes

As much as I hate to admit it, Iā€™m glad the Wake plan excludes light rail so itā€™s more likely to actually be implemented.

2 Likes

The new commuter rail plan should include mandatory train horn hocking continuously when within Dukeā€™s property. Just for safety reasonsā€¦

11 Likes

Of course. Safety first. :stuck_out_tongue:

And rumble strips. If they have those for trains. strong text

1 Like

Iā€™m very in favor of BRT right now and I think it was a smart decision. If it takes off like it should then the mass transit corridors are established and you get many advantages of the Light Rail without the budget and extended construction timelines.

If itā€™s efficient and convenient people will use it. If they donā€™t use it then it probably means weā€™re too spread out for rail to be effective.

My best case scenario is that the BRT is a big hit and eventually justifies the conversion of those corridors to light rail. Then the BRT could get expanded with connections to NH, Crabtree and RDU.

I supported the concept but I never really believed in the Chapel Hill to Durham light rail.

4 Likes

Something Iā€™ve thought about for a while, but really only became clear to me from this light rail dramaā€¦

Is the Triangle actually an unusually nasty 21st century-style political environment?

Besides DC (duh), California (see San Franciscoā€™s housing crisis), New York, Phoenix, and Nashville are known to be difficult places to get anything done thanks to really petty local power players. But now Iā€™m starting to wonder if the Triangle should also be on this list, and if thatā€™s something we need to be chronically concerned about when we try to push for urban development/transit.

5 Likes

We definitely have one of the most reactionary, anti-urban state legislatures. Local politics arenā€™t as bad, fortunately.

5 Likes

Are there any cities that utilize BRT heavily though, without a rail system supplementing that?

The Triangle is average-ish for an american metro area. You could look at it one way and say, that means itā€™s really awful in terms of urban planning and transit support. Or you could look at it another way and sayā€¦ wellā€¦ it could be worse. I feel like in terms of municipal policy, weā€™re pretty good. Unlike some cities though, there seems to be a lack of support for urbanism among a lot of core businesses in the region, which has always held us back.

1 Like

True, the United States, in general, is fourth-rate when it comes to public transit and supporting urbanism/pro-development policies. Itā€™s like we, as constituents, want to have all the perks of nice jobs and good economies, but we donā€™t want to do any of the work to get thereā€¦

That was not a typo, by the way. Nairobi, Kenya (eastern Africa) has us beat for embracing BRT as a solid part of their transit network, as do other third-world cities like Lagos (Nigeria) and Jakarta (Indonesia). The US is officially falling behind them.

https://medium.com/transit-app/hello-nairobi-cc27bb5a73b7

To be fair, though, it seems like BRT as a mode of transit separate from normal buses is an idea thatā€™s only been around for like thirty years. Kinda hard to find a city big enough to have an extensive mass transit network but young enough to not be preceded by rail.

1 Like

Most third world cities have BRT now since they canā€™t afford metro yet like Bogota and Quito. That makes Raleigh comparable to third world cities.

Interesting article about what happens next in the wake of the DOLRT failure: https://www.newsobserver.com/news/local/article228524759.html

They are correct in noting it takes a long time to develop a transit plan, doubly so now that the linchpin of the Durham-Orange plans is no more. One free piece of advice I will give their consultantsā€¦do not bank on state money for anything. For BRT in Raleigh, Iā€™m 99% sure we are operating under the assumption that we will get zero dollars from the state.

2 Likes

What role does (or does not) NCDOT play in all of this? Seems like they are mainly for highways and such. Do they get involved in any way in mass transit? They are the Department of Transportation. not the Department of Roads afterall.

I think state involvement could cut through some of the BS NIMBYs like Duke if they get behind it. Though with the current make-up of the state legislature I doubt it happens. But it should.

4 Likes

They are supposed to get involved in mass transit, but most of what they do is superficial and itā€™s obvious transit is treated as an afterthought. Thatā€™s not just the legislature doing it, itā€™s the purview of the DOT secretary and appointees.

2 Likes

The NCDOT has a Division of Public Transportation, but as @Kevin said it seems to be a bit of an afterthought. I read a number awhile back that stated the DOT can only use 6% of its budget for public transport, rail, bicycling, pedestrian, ferry, and airport projects combined, so theyā€™re not working with much. Their budget allocations are set by the NCGA, and for right now the focus is still on building new highways.

1 Like

All you have to do is look at what Tim Moore said after DOLRT diedā€¦he said they could take that money and expand I-40. With leadership like that, expect nothing and be pleasantly surprised when you get peanuts.

4 Likes

I will give credit and say that the ā€œRā€ party that changed the formula in regards to monies no longer being able to take out of the NCDOT budget was a very good thing. :grinning:
With that being said, the ā€œRā€ party should change the 6% requirementā€¦the state of NC is changing and if they want to truly stay relevant, I believe that could help make them look even betterā€¦? :wink:

2 Likes