Maywood Corridor, Lake Wheeler, Fuller Heights

Looking at these maps, there will be a small extension to the city’s ROW along most of the project. Magenta lines along the properties are existing ROW, big red one for proposed. These are pretty close together. I had a pretty difficult time picking them apart without zooming in significantly.

The easements are pretty likely to be slope or other temporary construction easements. I don’t see anything on the plans that would require a permanent easement outside the city ROW.

The problem isn’t building infrastructure, it’s making sure that it’s done with care, respect and appropriate compensation. Something that people seem to have a real issue with when it comes to low income communities.

Im not guessing that some of them are permanent easements. It was apart of their description in their request to the city council on Tuesday. The ROW adjustments aren’t huge, but they do need to be priced at their best and highest use value. The temporary easements are going to be a nightmare to deal with for current residents, and should be compensated accordingly.

A lot of these residents are low income long term renters. They will have to deal with all of disruptions, which will be pretty extreme, and will likely be displaced immediately after. YOU are in no way in a similar situation as these people and probably never will be.

I’d say the same thing to the Hayes Barton “save our neighborhood” wankers as well.

3 Likes

Not disagreeing that owners (ideally residents) need to be compensated. Just trying to help pick apart the map.

Of course, the sad thing about that is that they won’t see the money from the compensation - their landlord who doesn’t live there will.

1 Like

Hayes Barton in no way compares to what’s happening in Fuller Heights. I personally like and agree with missing middle.

And to clarify, I bought my property as an investment. I am pro development and can’t wait to see what this area will look like in 5-10 years. At the same time, I care about this neighborhood and what the low income residents are going through. I want other people to care too. It was gross listening to the City council meeting when they presented this. They showed ONE slide amongst dozens of slides, not zoomed in, of the proposed condemnation. Only ONE city council member spoke on it and she said, “we’re only taking their grass, not their homes, no one is being displaced yet so it’s fine.” And that’s it. Absolutely no discussion about the impacts. Can you imagine if this was happening in a higher income area? There would be a serious discussion at the very least.

My posts have been about treating the people of Fuller Heights fairly not about if the road improvements should happen. It was about making sure the residents were compensated, and it apparently ruffled some feathers. Why?

6 Likes

…you understand those landlords you’re kinda railing against did the exact same thing for the exact same reason, right? Just saying…

4 Likes

As MaggieB suggests, I would hope that landlords would compensate their tenants with rent adjustments during the disruptive construction but I sadly don’t see that happening. What I do see happening is landlords raising their rents after completion because the experience of that location is vastly improved.

3 Likes

Fuller Heights has definitely been hiding in plain sight for decades prior to the investment in Dix park for a bunch of Raleigh residents. I’ve long been a fan of its bucolic charms and lament that renters and low income families are likely in the cross hairs of development ripples from decisions made by the city elevating the amenities of Dix park and the waves propagating from the real estate boom in Raleigh radiating out from downtown.
Lake Wheeler has been in desperate need of sidewalk and road adjustments for many years (as have other parts of town which are not receiving the same level of attention at this time). But, it’s now getting those and other amenities in spades with the ripples of development coming over the next few decades. Owners like yourself will certainly have to deal with unforeseen changes and should be compensated accordingly for ROW adjustments and all citizens who use the area whether they live there or not will have to adjust through construction. The residents of the neighborhood will indeed have to deal with the majority of the growing pains. Those residents will also get some really amazing access and amenities when the project is done and hopefully for those renting, their landlords ‘pay it forward’ with rent adjustments as this process plays out…? Glass half full :crossed_fingers:
There is, however, the looming possibility of displacement coming for many of the local renters as some owners execute exit strategies and reap windfalls with the incoming densification that seems likely to come on these two blocks along Lake Wheeler bound by Curfman, if not more than likely throughout Fuller Heights. It certainly highlights the struggles of progress and the need for services for solutions to address the discomfort and displacement associated with growth / change.

2 Likes

Maybe I’m really out of touch here, but I don’t see the low $300Ks as being possible for low income buyers.

3 Likes

I haven’t said anything negative or “railed against”any of the landlords, not a single word.

But since you mention it, why not…
There are four types of investors in Fuller Heights.

1. Responsible landlords that update and upkeep their properties.
  2. Slumlords that take complete advantage of the residents. The homes are in complete despair and it is disgusting.
  3. Investors who buy the condemned homes and demolish them.
  4. Homeowners that live in their home. Some have been there for 50 years, some moved in the last couple of years.

I’m in the third category. There was noway to save our investment property and it was hazardous to the point that we were advised not to enter it and starting receiving notices from the city to demolish it right after purchase.

I have zero issues with category 1 and 3 and 4. Category two however would be an entirely different discussion thread.

7 Likes

I never said anything about not compensating homeowners, I said not highly compensating them. Your initial post referenced hiring an attorney without having any idea what you would or would not be offered, it was an aggressive kick off.

Acquiring 7.5 contiguous acres of property to redevelop from essentially nothing today to hundreds if not thousands of apartments/hotel/office space - is a much different proposition than installing a sidewalk. It just seems to me that if you want to realize “full market value” of your property - sell it. Don’t suggest suing the taxpayer for it.

All of this is obviously contingent on exactly what they’re trying to do. A sidewalk is a lot different from expanding the road and adding a bike lane and sidewalk in your front yard… If the scope is taking half your yard for public use, then yes - they should pay at least half the value and would most likely offer more with the hope of avoiding exactly what you said, a lawsuit. It’s quicker, easier and cheaper.

Personally, I don’t understand why they don’t just build it on the other side of the road where they already own the land… best of luck to you on the whole situation.

1 Like

First, it’s very strange that you find it “aggressive” that someone else wants to be paid full price for their land.

Second, Fuller Heights will be purchased as one property by a developer in the next few years, which is why the “best and highest” value is so high. The same as the 7.5 acres next door. The value of selling one lot for a SFH is not comparable, which is why it is so hard to find homes for sell in this area. The city recently changed their recommended zoning for fuller heights to 20 stories, which is why it will be valued that way.

I will happily sell my land to “realize the full market” value when a large developer pays $800+ for it (if the city wants a piece of it they can pay the same rate per sqft, since that’s the “best and highest” value. And yes, there will be an eminent domain attorney involved in this process (most likely a single attorney representing the fuller height’s residents) because that is how this is done. You’d have to be a complete idiot not to involve an attorney in negotiations. Your whole, “poor me, the tax payer” is super bizarre in this entire conversation.

What’s super bizarre is that you just keep this going. I don’t even care about whatever points you’re trying to make at this stage. Maybe just send some private messages and continue your arguments without including the rest of us.

4 Likes

The people who live in Fuller Heights are also taxpayers, so please stop phrasing it that way.

Just responding to others questions and direct statements. You, for example are also keeping it going.

I’m in agreement with GucciLittlePig. There are laws and guidelines that the city follows for things like this. You’ll be compensated. You may like the compensation or you may not. You’re an investor. This is something you should have known about or researched before you bought the property. As an investor, this due diligence is your responsibility.

Being offended because people are giving you insight into what is legal is incredibly bizarre. Get a lawyer and ask for their opinion.

8 Likes

I thousand percent knew about this project before purchasing. Still surprised by the maps and requests. And it really doesn’t effect anything on my end since I tore down the house.

Any “advice” that has been given is very much welcomed. Comments suggesting that these people don’t deserve fair compensation and should just be grateful, or they can just sell their land, or it’s not a big deal for them and they should get over it, are not welcome. This would have been a very short thread if there were just helpful comments with information.