NC Museum of History expansion

Speaking of, any updates from anywhere on the NC Museum of History expansion plans?

Best I can see is that they’re in fundraising mode: Museum Expansion + Renovation: Our Future | North Carolina Museum of History

7 Likes

Interesting. This is news to me (I think… maybe I knew about this and forgot). I wonder what the timeframe is. Cool looking modern buildings tho.

Trying to figure out what I am seeing here…?
Is the extension simply the new glass box that appears in the picture:

1 Like

It looks like to me that they want to build out into Bicentennial Plaza. Interesting as there might be room for more building if you take away all those planters and steps. I imagine also that some of the existing building, which you can see here in the background to the right, will be chipped away for that more modern frontage.

16 Likes

Certainly would look more inviting than the current configuration… I’m all for it

3 Likes

Actually it looks like they would tear down the part of it that fronts Bicentennial Plaza? Using Google Maps, it looks like the current building is cut in half by a seam of skylights. The portion to the West would be torn down and rebuilt into a larger space. Also note that the NW corner across from the Legislature is actually just a plaza.

That entire west side is essentially an open air colonnade – albeit, probably the most interesting part of the museum now. Kind of hate to lose that, but it’s also not super memorable.

3 Likes

Fingers crossed the NCMNS will eventually expand into the North Carolina Department of Agriculture & Consumer Services building if NC Ag ever decides vacate this property. NCMNS can even expand over it too.

It’s a handsome and historic structure:

10 Likes

Would be great for the Ag bldg too. Could use an organ lift… not sure what to call it when the interior needs a face lift.

3 Likes

This building could be an interesting downtown gallery for the NCMA.
I love the art museum - particularly the new building - and its gardens. I do wish there was at least a branch or gallery downtown in our “museum district”.

8 Likes

Weren’t earlier plans calling for a new building across Salisbury- correction, Wilmington St. (thanks @oakcityyimby!!) , connected by a bridge? I recall that because I hated blocking one of the few long street vistas DTR possesses - the view down to Peace College

*Wilmington. And agree on that view.

I hadn’t seen a mention for a skybridge but I wouldn’t be surprised. I thought we were waiting for more administrative offices along Wilmington, which seems silly given the amount of available space along Fayetteville Street.

1 Like

I believe I read somewhere that the parking lot ocean on Wilmington was earmarked for new offices for the Governor and their staff.

I want it to be another public square. The state owes us one since they filled up Casewell and Burke!!
But it would make a great place for school buses and children to gather before hitting all of the government complex sites.

2 Likes

The very fist post in this thread mentions expansion across the street. But the lilnked page is 404’ed. I guess they moved on to a different design.

If memory serves, this building is one that is on schedule to be torn down. :thinking:

I don’t believe so - It’s on every level of historic list, from city to state to national.

The ones I know are coming down are the Bath Building and the Administration Building - here’s a free article about it that actually covers a lot of the points we’ve been talking about: NC State Capitol Building Rehab Kicks Off Several Planned Projects : CEG

1 Like

Sadly, so was the 1898 Citizen Bank building in DTR, complete with hand carved gargoyles. But that didn’t stop them from tearing it down and building a parking lot before selling…

4 Likes

Yeah, check this dagger quote from the day " The building was owned by First Citizens Bank, moments before its implosion President James B. Hyler, Jr., stated, “I have some really mixed feelings. This is not a celebration to us by any means. It’s the passing of a very important building to Raleigh’s and our company’s history.” Plans were in place to build their 24-story headquarters on the site, but were shortly thereafter suspended indefinitely due to an over saturation of office space in downtown. (The Wells Fargo and BB&T buildings opened in 1990 and 1991 respectively) Sounds like poor planning."

9 Likes

This angle is looking from the south west I’m pretty sure. Robert’s angle is looking from the north west. They’re turning the north west corner of the lot into a giant atrium. It’s currently a big open courtyard. From the plans I’ve looked at/reviewed, I don’t think they’re changing the footprint of the building anymore than that. It is a huge project though. And this phase doesn’t include any additions across the street that other people have mentioned.

4 Likes