Platform and West End II - Development at W Cabarrus/S Saunders

I took these the other day and forgot to post them.

27 Likes

IMG_6772

April 24th update photos of the progress at the Platform.

31 Likes

Technically 3 cranes on this site now. Also a semi-unique angle.

EDIT: additional shots

24 Likes

I was just thinking this morning that I need to take a photo of the Dupont warehouses as seen from Cabarrus because that view didn’t exist before demolition and won’t exist for much longer. Looks like you’ve captured a few!

4 Likes

The parking deck looks impressive from up here, but the entire development is really taking off with them establishing the second floor now. More pics to come.

18 Likes

Street level shots

26 Likes

44 Likes

Wow, in your 3rd pic, that whole side is supposed to be lined with retail, which will then connect to the new Boulted Bread and Raleigh Denim storefront locations on the same block. This is REALLY gonna activate more of the South side

17 Likes

Yeah I’m looking forward to seeing this once its finished. I didn’t realize how big this is going to be. I wont recognize this area once this & 320 South are completed.

7 Likes

Does anyone know what’s up with the little patch of trees on the SW corner, or how they’ll be incorporated into this project?

That’s gas line infrastructure that can’t be relocated. I’m sure they’ll do their best to mask it while keeping it serviceable.

5 Likes

Well dang. That looks… in the way.

Hey, I’m not mad about keeping some trees on the corner!

3 Likes

We’ll see. Kane’s reps kept telling us that retail won’t work here (and that was before the pandemic) and the commercial spaces will be “creative office” whatever that means. :woman_shrugging:t2: I hope we get something more interesting.

1 Like

It’s in the last renders that were released

I’m not in loop about this project but I wouldn’t put much stock in renderings. A lot of projects in Durham that got rendered/advertised with retail never materialized. 555 Mangum is just office on the ground level, and looks like The Vega condo building will do the same. You never know for projects that are a bit outside established retail corridors, unfortunately.

For this one specifically though, with the Boulted Bread and Raleigh Denim storefronts literally down the block, and Rebus Works just a ways up from there, adding retail along this building would quite literally establish a retail corridor. Truly hope they don’t just turn it into another dead zone, UGH.

6 Likes

Agreed, and with what should be very little traffic coming through here, a very desirable/walkable area. I suspect most “traffic” traversing The Platform development including retail shoppers in cars will enter/exit from Cabarrus. I believe there’s an entry/exit from Dupont, but connectivity to go places from there won’t be as advantageous I don’t think (don’t hope).

I know what it seems like and I agree, but the horse’s mouth told the neighbors who were asking for retail that it would not work in this development because they’re isn’t enough traffic. They said creative office, end of story. Their words, not mine.

I hope they were just under promising, but I don’t take them to be the the types to do that.

1 Like

They could create traffic for retail with more housing.

3 Likes