Platform and West End II - Development at W Cabarrus/S Saunders

It’s nice to see that they’re going to basically almost build the West Street Extension into this. Hopefully the alignments are correct and not bump into a do-over situation if/when the tunnel is built under the tracks. And, they’ve just assumed that Cabarrus will be a grade crossing for the moment. Just curious what’s going to happen with the old SOU depot site. Time will tell.

2 Likes

I was pursuing the most recent version of the Admin Alt Req for this project and noticed some things I don’t think have been shown in the thread above. First, don’t know exactly what this means except possible future connectivity:

Then mass timber construction?? :heart_eyes:

11 Likes

Mass Timber would be a nice touch.

Imagine the reaction from Boylan Heights if South Boylan became the preferred route from “Dylanville” to main part of the Warehouse District.

5 Likes

That will be my preferred route, just to show them.

Dylan
Resident - Dylanville

:rofl:

3 Likes

Having to do something like that would seriously suck. Maybe everyone in that neighborhood can show up to every council meeting and use their 2 minutes each to petition the city for the extension of West?

3 Likes

Every time I come back to this forum there seems to be something new and exciting. I was back in Raleigh over the holidays and had fun showing my family the Morgan Street Food Hall and RUS. (BTW, I thought it was neat that Mike Bloomberg held a rally at RUS. I’m not endorsing his politics, but I’m happy to see people use it for photo ops and events.) I hope this project gets built like this, it’s neat and interesting and fits pretty well with the neighborhood aesthetic.

9 Likes

I was wondering what exactly the first diagram is supposed to be showing, too. What are those green rectangles supposed to represent?

Ingress/Egress to Kane’s projects is my guess.

Just noticed your blog credits Duda Paine for the design of this development. Raleigh Architecture Co.'s instagram seems to imply otherwise?

I would much rather see Mass Timber buildings than stick built over concrete pedestals. At least it would make some really cool and rich experience buildings.

1 Like

I think Duda Paine is doing the larger development (north side of Cabarrus) and I guess Raleigh Architecture is doing the warehouse rehab across the street. Makes sense because their office used to be in one of those warehouses.

That would make sense, but the renderings were on Cline Design’s website. Maybe Cline is just doing the stick built/residential portion?

oh Thanks for bringing this up. I think @Deb is right. Duda Paine is behind the office buildings but perhaps there are more parties involved for the rest. I certainly brushed it too wide. I’ll clarify. Thank you!

RACo is definitely doing the warehouse project.
(from the horse’s mouth)

1 Like

Not sure if this questions goes here… but anyone know what is going on with the buildings west of Vita Vite downtown? I saw they have the 3 buildings there fenced off and looks like they are tearing down the buildings.

There’s a thread about it here

Thanks! @GucciLittlePig

1 Like

First Mass Timber building in the region according to the meeting today.

6 Likes

Oh, how cool is that!!!