Platform and West End II - Development at W Cabarrus/S Saunders

Well, this makes me hopeful that they were just not sure what they were going with when they met with us!

1 Like

Commercial tenant can also mean office space. I think that they are leaving their options open.

3 Likes

They are at least not showing any kind of restroom core. So, they are leaving their options open

2 Likes

Yes, this was the point I was trying to make in my earlier comments but I guess I didn’t do a good job! I think some folks use “commercial” interchangeably with “retail,” but they don’t mean the same thing. Retail is one type of commercial use; creative office is another type; food service is yet another.

4 Likes

28 Likes

This development is massive at street level. I wonder if we’ll see some more active uses of the warehouses on DuPont start to happen now.

30 Likes

You really got around during your lunch walk!
And yes, you have to experience this development in person to really appreciate it.
AND, it’s only phase 1 of 2!

8 Likes

So… is phase 2 the tower portion of the project, or about the same height as well. I didnt see a rendering of this project.

What I’m calling phase 2 (not from Kane as there’s no current “plan”) is where the 20 story tower would have been if the Planned Development rezoning request would have gone through. Since they pulled that request, the entire property is IX-7, so no tower. It was suggested they could do a 7-story mass timber “tower” in the 2nd phase, but I haven’t heard anything on the other part of this project in quite a while (also haven’t asked).

4 Likes

I wonder if they might consider going back to the council to request rezoning again - perhaps even just for 10 stories. Even a little height variation here would be nice.

4 Likes

Wouldn’t surprise me if they did. They’d actually get more out of rezoning just that side of the property to 20 than they would have if the PD had gone through as proposed.

2 Likes

I was digging back to find this post from April of last year:

and found another couple of interesting posts…

From October '19, talking about “pending any economic issues”

And from Feb’20, a month before COVID really hit (obviously), we were pretty stoked about the warehouse project starting later that year. :pensive:

10 Likes

I’m not sure how many concrete floors before stick but we’re working on 2!
Pic from the actual platform.

23 Likes

Probably two concrete and five stick.

I’m not gonna lie, I have a bit of anxiety about the exposed stick phase of this project since my house is so close to it. I keep having flashbacks of the Metropolitan fire, which our neighborhood could see from Saunders. :scream:

I know it’s probably completely irrational anxiety, but it’s still there.

I totally understand and mean this with every bit of sincerity. Check your homeowner insurance to be sure you’re happy with coverage and deductibles. Hopefully it will be like taking an umbrella when you don’t actually need it.

1 Like

Given the price and availability issues with lumber - any possibility they’ve changed plans to go all concrete?

No way. Lumber is still way cheaper than concrete.
Not to mention, more sustainable and easier to remodel!

1 Like

Lumber prices I believe are also finally coming down pretty strongly. Hopefully keeps sparking more projects!

3 Likes

On the way to see @John

21 Likes