Platform and West End II - Development at W Cabarrus/S Saunders

Thank you!
If you are able, please keep us posted with when, where and what time, so that we can show support…:blush:

4 Likes

I agree 100% with you Deb. I know my wife does too. I hope you’ll be pleasantly surprised during the presentation.

2 Likes

I can’t think of a more entitled thing to do than to limit what someone else can build on their own property because it will block your view.

5 Likes

Hope you mean “Self entitled”

Okay I live on the edge of Central CAC. Weird how I’m in the same district as Boylan even though I’m in East DTR.

Okay so I guess I need to start showing up to these meetings that involve Central CAC. This district is weirdly shaped.

3 Likes

Residents in some neighborhoods feel as though when they bought their homes, it included air rights over every building within a ten mile radius.

6 Likes

I have a cautionary bone but I don’t this project will be blocking anyone’s views from Boylan Heights…thats what being in the Heights does for you. I’d be happy to have it if I lived down that way.

Those that have a view towards downtown, have a view of rail roads, power substation and warehouses, would think they would welcome something to block that. :laughing:

2 Likes

Developers can just say they’ll build these buildings so they block the noise of fun from pouring out of Downtown into their neighborhood. That would get them.

I’m pretty sure it’s only a handful people on Kinsey who will have any significant view impacts. They are quite outspoken at neighborhood meetings, though.

My house is down at the lowest point of the neighborhood across from the project. My view of Union Station and everything else downtown will be completely wiped out, but I never expected that it would be there forever. I just hope that whatever ends up there is more interesting and attractive than Park & Market, which Kane keeps touting as their shining example of a residential building :nauseated_face:

3 Likes

How does this work? Can anyone just show up and vote? Why wouldn’t Kane just get people to show up and vote in favor of the project? Does the vote even matter or is it just to get an opinion of the neighborhood? If someone posts when these votes happen I’ll try to make it.

2 Likes

Yeah I’m unclear on this as well. It seems like a terrible system to let a few grumpy neighbors dictate what happens in the downtown of a city of nearly half a million. Or to equate those few people’s opinions with the will of everyone nearby just because they had the time or inclination to go to a meeting.

2 Likes

My understanding is that CACs are non-binding votes that the Council should take into consideration. But I think in the end the council can do their own thing.

I know in my neighborhood people were bitching about Kanes N. Hills expansion in the CAC but then the council approved it anyways.

1 Like

It’s just one small step of the process. The neighbors vote through the CAC. Then that info (majority for, or majority against) is provided to the Planning Commission and Council. The Planning Commission considers that in their review and recommendations. And so will the Council.

It’s definitely not the be-all, end-all. But it’s a measure of public opinion by those closest to it.

**IN order to vote in a CAC meeting, you must reside in that CAC district. Owning property isn’t enough. You must live there.

1 Like

The one CAC meeting I went to, there was no verification of who lived there when they voted. Also, I feel like putting the presentation and meeting minutes online, and then sending everyone in the neighborhood a link to this and an online survey would be much more representative, informative, and accurate.

2 Likes

I’ve been to CAC votes before and all it does is record an official record of the CAC stance. Also it is yay or nay in totality with no breakdown of the votes. Also there was no verification of who actually lived in the CAC like Gucci said.

1 Like

That is quite a low swamp-like area down in there filled in with trash and stuff over the years. The poorest people, in the old days, were relegated to the lowest, most polluted areas. Anyhow, such a low lying area should have some reasonable expectations as you do yourself. Its turning into quite an interesting neighborhood.

Yup, we still find all sorts of things that unearth themselves after it rains. We chose the location for it’s proximity to downtown and relative affordability (at the time) rather than the view. I consider the view we’ve enjoyed an unexpected, temporary bonus. We definitely love the neighborhood.

2 Likes

That’s exactly what we were told in our last N Central CAC meeting.

1 Like

And all their real estate values tripled. They should send Kane a thank you note. I have.

4 Likes