Platform and West End II - Development at W Cabarrus/S Saunders

I heard there will be an architecture/design firm and a Pilates studio. Not sure about the third space.

Thrilling! Lol. But ooh the mysterious third spot. I hope it’s a dentist office, bank, or :crossed_fingers:tea with chunks place!

3rd spot would be a killer spot for an art gallery

3 Likes

The penguin inserted in picture #3, nice touch!

3 Likes

Tis a Gucci penguin, small of stature…

Good eye! :grin:

1 Like

I believe the Cabarrus and West project you’re referring to is Nickelpoint Brewery.

3 Likes

That’s it! I knew I had heard something but for the life of me couldn’t remember. Thank you!

Needed more color…

4 Likes

More :art:. It’s has a bit of a Tetris feel in the photos, but it’s changed again since then.

16 Likes

Applicable to the Tetris reference, but no reference whatsoever to Raleigh so please forgive me in advance:

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/01/03/arts/tetris-beat-blue-scuti.html?smtyp=cur&smid=fb-nytimes

I thought this was pretty incredible. It took until December of 2023 for someone to actually “beat” Tetris, and it was a 13 year old kid!

1 Like

I really hope they incorporate some seafoam green here. /s

:face_with_hand_over_mouth:

The Platform has a bunch of retail spaces and no retail yet. Shame especially since Boulted Bread is next door and there’s stuff across the street.

1 Like

It just opened - it took Smoky Hollow a couple years to fill out.

2 Likes

The retail space in the corner of the L has been empty for as long as that building has existed. A few in the Dillon, too. There are plenty of other examples of downtown retail spaces that have been empty long-term, unfortunately.

I don’t think the Platform spaces are going to be filled anytime soon. I’d like to be proven wrong, though.

I wouldn’t be surprised if it takes until the other phases go up

1 Like

Very incremental updates to this mural. They’re really betting big that “West End” is going to stick.

13 Likes

I hadn’t really walked through this development yet, but I think it’s a solid addition to the area (seafoam green notwithstanding). The retail spaces are pretty large and once fully leased will provide a great Smoky Hallows esque area.

24 Likes

All the pics didn’t want to post together:

27 Likes

Visit to DuPont Circle this morning. A new physical therapist looks to be open or opening soon. Big big question - where the heck are people going to park? And secondly, why are there no places for bikes to park? Looks like a missed opportunity. I digress. Here are the photos.

5 Likes

I noticed the PT sign the other day, too. I wonder if this is what the rumored pilates studio actually is, or if that’s what’s going on the other side. And big agree about the bike parking.

The property manager at Platform told me that their parking deck will be free for at least a few years. I’m guessing people visiting Boulted and other businesses on Dupont can park there.

4 Likes