Possible New Development Locations and Projects - Rezonings

I used my personal example a bit tongue in cheek, but it is something that happens on Boylan on a very frequent basis. I’ve never said my solution is to keep people from moving downtown, and while I get that might be some people’s solutions, it’s a little unfair to make that assumption until it’s voiced. I

And I get it too. Some people will never provide concerns or attend these discussions in good faith. I deal with these types of people every day. However, I have learned that even though these people might not be providing concerns in good faith or with the intent of finding solutions to actual issues, they often inadvertently bring attention to issues that should be addressed. Everyone has something to offer whether you agree with them or not, and I hope that this forum doesn’t lose sight of that. I think the city, for the most part, does a good job of listening to all people and pulling the relevant information to make informed decisions while moving past the silly stuff.

3 Likes

So I am a little curious… what does this group think in terms of a zoning height for this area?

• Approve the 20 stories… build baby build!
  • 20 stories seems a bit much, but it should be higher than the current 7 story zoning
  • The current 7 story zoning feel appropriate for this area

0 voters

2 Likes

Option 4, rezone to 40 stories.
Option 5, the city’s first 60 story rezoning!!

8 Likes

My silly lil solution for traffic calming and those stop signs along Boylan that people seem to roll right through?
Convert them back to stop lights, and actually make use of them. They used to just be flashing “yield” stop lights that were then at some point in the recent past changed to stop signs hanging over the road… which aren’t quite as noticeable if you’re not paying attention to what’s above you, and just assume the cross-streets have a stop sign. Especially with all these new developments along Hillsborough x Boylan, it’d make more sense to me to just make them all working stop lights!

2 Likes

Can I interest you in a nice traffic-calming roundabout?

4 Likes

Sample of 1 here, but I drive and bike through Boylan regularly and my take is that speeds were reduced when the traffic lights on Boylan were replaced with stop signs at each intersection. No more racing through yellows.

5 Likes

Roundabout, schmoundabout. Put a few of these traffic chicanes on Boylan, and that’ll slow ‘em down.

8 Likes

You certainly can! That’s another measure I’d think would be appropriate for this neighborhood/street! Absolutely.

1 Like

This just looks super dumb hahaha - I can’t take these things seriously. And there’s video showing just how “effective” the ones they put in Mordecai are … people just continue hauling ass and straddling the center line, basically crossing into the opposite lane. I’d argue that these things, while maybe they slow down reasonable people, only make the already stupid drivers drive more stupid.

Well then maybe have they considered widening the road.

I’m imagining that idea wouldn’t land well. Would mean yielding more property for eminent domain. The chicanes and baby roundabouts would potentially circumvent the issue without any loss of real estate.

But, it still illustrates that there are a precious few arterial connections between Hillsborough and Western Boulevard - McDowell, West, Boylan, Ashe, and Pullen.

3 Likes

Thinking about traffic here, growing up you went down Western, then had to wind our way through BH to get to Cabarrus - there was no bridge. But how could that be? So I looked up and found this nice little write up by the NCRR. The bridge was closed for my early driving years - enjoy the read. And enjoy the Birdseye map that linked - for all the folks who think Raleigh isn’t dense enough now . . . lol.

7 Likes

Favorite part was the mention of the Raleigh Tower… a 2 story wooden building :smile:

2 Likes

Artist’s rendering:

7 Likes

just wondering…gov morehead is a huge site and i think now only has about 40 some students and a small state agency. any news of the state has considered selling all or part of this property?

1 Like

perhaps so. a more person scaled unit and not an obliteration of sky could also make boylan bridge pleasant.

2 Likes

Before I vote, and after much discussion here that’s talking about Boylan Heights proper, I’d like to understand what I’m voting for.
Is your poll asking specifically about that one site north of W. Hargett or for Boylan Heights in general?

Also, I’d like to weigh-in on the nature of Boylan Heights. IMO, it’s currently a fortunately located early suburban development neighborhood. Its more organic network of streets and primarily SFH buildings don’t read as urban to me. Ironically, development that may make it more walkable may be the very things that trigger resistance from particular residents or the neighborhood in general. I imagine it’s a conundrum for some to want walkable access to more goods & services, but neither the density of new residents nor the buildings that support that access.

It’s also interesting to me that there are concerns about cars/traffic, which is a typical topic that concerns suburbanites who are largely car dependent themselves. It’s also intriguing to me that this concern now runs a N/S corridor, while before the Western Blvd bypass was built to align with MLK that concern ran E/W through the neighborhood instead.

5 Likes

When I created the poll, I was thinking more along the lines of height massing in consideration with what is also in the area. Maybe some slight consideration to pedestrian/vehicular infrastructure, but less of that to be honest.

More of an iffy “what feels right” sort of question.

1 Like

Oh gosh, does anyone want to rezone Boylan Heights proper? It’s a real gem. Ideally in my mind it’d be like Ansley Park or Virginia-Highland in Atlanta or River Oaks in Houston - a pretty historic neighborhood with skyscrapers next door.

I was thinking of the poll to mean that block across the bridge.

It’s protected as a historic district, so rezoning would never happen in Boylan Heights proper.

2 Likes