Possible New Development Locations and Projects - Rezonings

We don’t even have a main library like Cary which is also part of the same library system.

6 Likes

It was mentioned in another thread, but that was apparently an intentional choice by the city to spread library funding around the neighborhoods vs a symptom of terrible underinvestment.

A real downtown library location (preferably in the civic tower whenever that starts) would 100% be a great idea, however.

16 Likes

What about the proposals that have been submitted not yet approved by the city council I read the post above it was all dotted and unreadable.

Wonder if @JonathanMelton will float the idea with a luxury apartment coming diagonally across the street why not compliment it with affordable housing.

Plus it would give the hobos somewhere to pee besides Nash Square…
:nut_and_bolt:

2 Likes

What about the proposals that have been submitted not yet approved by the city council I read the post above it was all dotted and unreadable.

you might be referring to https://raleighnc.gov/planning/services/rezoning-process/rezoning-cases

might cut down on the ac bill

not saving much with north facing windows

1 Like

The 20 story rezoning at Boylan / Hargett (catty-corner from Wye Hill) got a 90 day extension until 9/25 from the Planning Commission.

https://community.dtraleigh.com/t/the-raleigh-wire-service/748/2246?u=oakcityyimby

12 Likes

There’s a public hearing for this rezoning request on December 5th at 7p (in person). To speak at the public hearing you must sign up before end of business today (sorry, it takes a while for mail to get forwarded to us down here).

As a reminder, here’s the plot in question:

8 Likes

It sounds like I’m too late to sign up for this, but I would like to start speaking in support at some of these meetings. Especially since my apartment is adjacent to this site.

That being said, I’ve never been to a meeting, so I’m not sure what I would even say. Does this community have any resources or tips for what to say at these meetings, or should I just start with observing a few?

I’d love to get more involved, but I’ve been a bit nervous!

5 Likes

Hey, great comment. I feel you could start with emails to the appropriate decision makers, which I guess this case is in front of council.

What you can also do, and I know others here have done this, is to find out who the law group representing the party that wants the rezoning. (it’s usually one of a few) Reach out to them saying that you’d like to speak in support and they can advise from there. I think you can find this info on the attachments in the agenda.

Let me know if I can help with anything here.

9 Likes

What’s the requested rezoning? Is it 40?

Yes, requesting DX-40-UG-CU (Downtown Mixed Use, 40, Urban General Frontage, w/Conditions).

1 Like

i think its great. And we can finally get some retail.

Assuming I’m looking at the right case, I think the person to contact is the attorney listed on page 30 of the packet linked below. Even if it’s too late to speak at the upcoming hearing, the attorney will have good ideas for how you can constructively engage. I think everyone is appreciative when someone shows up to do engage constructively.

2 Likes

Correct, Jamie Schwedler and she will be happy to have you and any others speak in favor of the project, even if it’s an email supporting it.

3 Likes

This parcel should most definitely be up-zoned!
It would go a long way to bridging Glenwood South to state government part of downtown.

A post was merged into an existing topic: Show Off Things From Other Cities