Raleigh and Statistical Area Population

Doesn’t the airport’s welcome sign that welcomes you as your are coming out of the secure area say “Welcome to North Carolina’s Research Triangle” or something like that?

1 Like

I don’t recall:

7 Likes

You gotta admit that I was really close.
If this airport were in Durham Co., I assure you that it would just say Durham. The airport would likely be named DCAP for Durham County Air-Port. :wink:

2 Likes

With direct flights to Raleigh International Airport and maybe Greensboro and Charlotte. :rofl:

7 Likes

I think the Census is going figure out what the hell is going on, and figure what they made 20 years ago was a fatal mistake and re-consolidate Raleigh Durham Chapel Hill into one MSA.

Yeah, I think that’d be good if they did that, but if they do, they need to call it something other than the “Raleigh-Durham” MSA, because I’m already sick and tired of having to explain to people on the internet that “Raleigh-Durham” is not a city. Maybe they could call it the Research Triangle MSA, and then we just need to get the counties to change the name of the airport and we’ll be all set.

7 Likes

Raleigh-Durham

12 Likes

Great idea! :+1:

I for one think that we should suggest this to maybe Rep David Price in Congress to obtain his thoughts?

1 Like

Okay…so, geeking out on population data since there’s nowhere to go on this fine Saturday, I went to the Census website to gather some data.
After doing so, I decided that I wanted to play a game here on DTRaleigh. That game is to have each respondent guess what the total combined population is for Wake County + every county that touches Wake County (including the 4 corner point with Nash). I looked at this in terms of the fact that many cities get to have their adjacent counties in their MSAs. Unfortunately, Raleigh only gets to count 2 of the 7.
I’ll give you the county names, but please no researching the actual numbers. The closest guess wins, well, nothing. BUT, the winner can wear a virtual badge of personal pride!
The counties are:
Wake
Durham
Granville
Franklin
Nash
Johnston
Harnett
Chatham

2 Likes

2.8 million. :service_dog:

Duly recorded and waiting for other guesses!

One Dollar, Bob!

I’ll go with 2.4 million.

My guess is 2.6 million? :crossed_fingers::blush:

I’ll go higher. 3.1 million.

Worth noting that Umstead State Park is entirely within Raleigh’s city limits so Raleigh’s density will always have a significant handicap.

3 Likes

Everyone has overbid. Wipe the bids and let’s start over. Our lowest bid was 2.4 Million; go lower than that!

How about 1.9 million?

1 Like

2 million flat. Extra chars

1 Like

We just know it will get under the skin of the Napoleon complex suffering “sharlotte USA” crowd…which makes it more fun!!

I’ll wait for a few more bids from bidders’ row!