Raleigh City Council: Jonathan Melton AMA

Interesting. Do you have examples? I feel like the perception of Raleigh is an innovative, young, diverse city. I think the Chamber of Commerce does a good job marketing our city (and region). I also know the City did a redesign of the logo, website, etc. not too far before my time.

1 Like

A great question and one I think about a lot because decisions we make here have a direct impact “downstream” in places like Smithfield, etc. I’m encouraged to see that Chapel Hill is considering their own missing middle policy this week. But there’s really no direct link on policy as we’re all separate municipalities with separate elections, etc. I think we do a good job taking a regional approach on business issues (the Chamber helps a lot with that) but there’s division on other issues (and political differences too- there was a real struggle on forming county-wide consensus on mask mandates, for example!)

3 Likes

I am glad to hear that they are constantly working on it, and I hope that also includes keeping the data for downtown, the city, the MSA and CSA updated on various platforms like Wikipedia, etc. We have to actively manage our social media and platform presence. If density of residents is important to retailers, then keeping that data updated should be of utmost importance.

3 Likes

Yes! Check out the DRA updates. Do Business | Downtown Raleigh, NC

3 Likes

Jonathan, Thank you for taking your lunch hour to be with us. Even if in the background, it’s my hope that you can continue to reference this community and the various topics. Through Leo’s amazing efforts, this is a wealth of ideas consolidated into a single source. There are a lot of interesting ideas discussed here and some really engaged and competent voices. Again, thank you!

6 Likes

Always good to chat with y’all, and I do read the forum from time to time! Feel free to send follow up questions to my city email: jonathan.melton@raleighnc.gov

11 Likes

I might not be up to you the Feds will have their say.

Yeah that’s part of the problem why downtown is suffering from lack of services. Devolution of responsibility of services is unclear so neither CoR nor Wake BoC have invested in downtown much other than legal/courthouse needs.

2 Likes