Raleigh-Eastern NC passenger rail

Not the worst idea in the world either. Asheboro is about equally distant from both Charlotte and Raleigh and I’m sure families would love an easy day trip and not have to deal with parking.

Honestly I’m surprised the state of NC doesn’t market the NC Zoo more as a tourist attraction. I’m pretty sure they had a Nat Geo show on the zoo not too long ago. I think it’s also one of the biggest in the US too.

14 Likes

The biggest in the US by acreage, yeehaw! Never see it advertised unless you are driving through Asheboro. Definitely needs more exposure.

9 Likes

I believe the state prohibits them from advertising outside of NC also. Really stupid if you want tourism dollars.

What would be the reason for this?

1 Like

Funny you should mention that: PART just made some massive improvements to their Randolph County Express service. It used to only run during peak hours, but they’ve upgraded it to all-day service and extended the line to stop at the zoo. Of course, this does mean you’d need to take the train to Greensboro and then transfer, which may not be worth the time, but it’s great for folks in the Triad. Nice to see one of North Carolina’s largest attractions finally getting some form of transit service.

8 Likes

All this thread is doing is making me want to revisit the damn Zoo!!! It’s been at least 6 years since I went, and I do remember loving the sprawling layout of exhibits, which makes for happier animals :innocent:

1 Like

Just think of all the steps you’ll get in on your visit!

4 Likes

If you end up waiting another six or so years, you’ll also get to see the new Asia exhibit (the zoo only has areas for North America and Africa as of now) -with eventual plans for Australia and the Amazon not too far behind!

…so yeah. Car-free options to the NC Zoo are only going to get even more helpful in the long run!

9 Likes

Don’t go on the weekend. It was packed last time I went. Luckily I bypassed the enormous line because I have the membership there.

1 Like

OK! Raleigh DEFINITELY needs to start marketing the Zoo more (as the Capital City, I think Raleigh would do well to market NC tourism as a whole, not just the stuff in Raleigh) and FOR SURE should figure out some sort of shuttle system to promote it.

1 Like

It’s closer to Greensboro and equidistant from Charlotte, and if you’re travelling from another state for a zoo you’re probably going to prioritize the National Zoo (or the San Diego Zoo). It’s a bit of a hail mary with Raleigh’s tourism marketing dollars.

It’s a nice amenity for Carolinians but it’s not exactly a tourist draw for any of our cities since the location is just floating out in the middle of them.

I guess you’d be hoping someone road tripping around the state stops there?

3 Likes

I don’t know, if the future plans come to fruition and the NC Zoo expands to include an entire Asia, Australia, AND Amazon section, it could very well become a national tourist destination on its own.

Having the NC Zoo as my only reference before going to SD Zoo, I was appalled, just awful conditions.

1 Like

I was pretty impressed with the Greensboro Science Center when I went there a few months back

2 Likes

I was reading Knightdale’s draft transit plan and was surprised to see a recommendation for passenger (commuter?) rail. I was curious if anyone had any more information. Is this assumed to be a part of the Raleigh-Greenville route? Curious how useful that would actually be for Knightdale commuters.

6 Likes

Wendell has been pushing heavy for it.
The east side is booming right now. Traffic on 87 during rush hour is getting pretty bad. I think it’d get pretty solid commuter ridership. We have over 10k units approved in Wendell right now. About the same for Knightdale. Plus the big wake tech and tech park coming to Wendell. I think it’s time to at least analyze it.

13 Likes

Someone send this idea to Jim Goodnight. It wouls be a worthy legacy that is tangible.

3 Likes

I assume you are talking about the part between Wendell and Zebulon which isn’t signed I-87 yet. Plans are underway to widen it to 6 lanes but not for the foreseeable future. Knightdale bypass does okay for now at least.

Yes, passenger rail will be great for that area as an alternative for the ones who prefer to enjoy their time on the train.

3 Likes

I’m more so talking the 87 part from WF Pkwy to 440.
The unsigned part is a nightmare just due to not having shoulders honestly. But, I Travel the Knightdale bypass part whenever I do go to the office and it’s really gotta decently bad recently. This coming from an Atlantan. Random screenshot from a recent 8 AM.

2 Likes