Raleigh Elections and Council Overall

The debate on whether regionalism exists in the Triangle is getting off-topic, so click here to read them.

I don’t think that’s a useful metric. San Francisco, Oakland, San Jose, Palo Alto etc. all have their own chambers, too, even though the Bay Area thrives off of regional cooperation. Even the group that calls itself “central Silicon Valley” is mostly just San Jose and Santa Clara.

That’s not true. Durham’s been going out of their way to make marginalized people’s opinions a bigger part of their transit plan update, and they want sidewalk and local bus improvements first. That’s different from an outright rejection by decision-makers (even though it does make it easier for that to happen). It’s a subtle difference in words, but it implies Durham’s City Council still has the power to support commuter rail funding.

To link my question (why does it matter that One Wake is from Durham?) to what you wrote, I felt like I had to assume you believe the following things:

1. Cities and towns in the Triangle are separate communities with separate cultures. What they do and how they govern should stay in their own borders (though regional cooperation could be nice).

2. Durham residents seem to want to take care of its own internal needs even if it sacrifices regional interests.

3. Given 1 and 2, Durham residents should stay in their own lane. As long as our cities aren’t truly sharing policies and looking out for each other, its citizens should respect the autonomy of others.

Is that where you’re coming from?