Raleigh Elections and Council Overall

Correct me if I’m wrong, but the Nexus (N&O) lot has already been rezoned to 40-stories, and we just haven’t seen a new development proposal yet to reflect the newly higher zoning. That said, the new iteration of CC can’t really do much regarding any new proposals, since they can build-by-right to 40 stories now.

And deboning (dezoning) would lead to lawsuits.

1 Like

Plenty of land rezoned already. Will take decades to develop. Financing tough right now.

6 Likes

No bones about it!
:melting_face:

2 Likes

I would most definitely file a lawsuit if anyone tried deboning my hot wings, so I agree with @Yimbyforlife here.

1 Like

Correct……….all of those approved zonings will not get overturned or the City will face a wave of lawsuits…& lose.

Doesn’t mean they won’t try to be pains in the ass however.

3 Likes

This entire election result is due to the one moron who is trying to shove 17 townhomes into Hayes Barton…….

1 Like

i was born in raleigh and lived there for 40 years…from what i saw in the news the new council candidates didn’t say they were opposed to growth but wanted greater input from neighborhood peeps on the type in their own area. if i still lived there i would be cool with that. even if it meant a cac bitchin’ about something. as i have said before when i lived on wexford dr many years ago subsidized, denser housing came in at the end fo the street. crime most definitely increased. its good to ask questions and if a cac or a mechanism for opinions to make it to council without having to go go downtown can do that for a resident it sounds ok to me. with that said you can look all over itb/ or just outside itb raleigh and find numerous bits of density in and near sfh areas.

2 Likes

Nah, if it wasn’t that, they would have pointed fingers at something else. Missing CACs, the shift in election year, shadows on somebody’s lawn… it’ll always be something. Just gotta convince more people that their cries for “justice” are grounded in selfishness, not concern for the less fortunate.

7 Likes

Yeah, I would think that the 17 townhomes specifically had zero impact on this election. The people who are resistant to change in their community and didn’t like the current council had already locked in their opinions long before that happened.

10 Likes

I completely disagree with you on this. I think the launch of the Save our Neighborhoods campaign that was launched from these 17 townhouses was exactly the sort of fear monger hook that affected the election beyond the small but noisy NIMBYs that were defeated in 2019.

1 Like

I personally blame Nicole Stewart for not running again. If she had, she’d have won, and Stormie could’ve stayed at large, and we’d be good.

2 Likes

That raises a good question; anyone know why Nicole decided not to run again? Or what she’s planning to do after her term is up? I’d say she should run for Mayor next term (this will be MAB’s last term, I have an inside source that has basically said as much) - however, she’d be running to be Raleigh’s 3rd white woman Mayor in a row, which… not that there’s anything inherently wrong with that, it’s just probably not a good look for pro-density progressives to ONLY vote for white women election after election :rofl:

1 Like

Are Raleigh’s mayor’s term limited? I didn’t think that they were in the past. Did something change?

We can put a white man back there for variety.

And as I make that joke, I realize that Melton would be my top pick for next mayor. :man_shrugging:

5 Likes

What I’m saying is that this will be her last term. Has nothing to do with term limits, but rather a personal (and political) decision.

1 Like

I am making a prediction that before the 2020s are over someone will move. Into those townhomes then be quoted by some form of local media as being concerned about the character and scope of a proposed development near them. I wanted to put that down, so someone on this forum in 2026 can link back to this.

13 Likes

I think the new council members are gonna find out what Dillon’s Rule state means pretty soon when all their ideas are knocked down by the city attorney as illegal and the NCGA starts stepping in for developers.

So dust off the Downtown Raleigh CAC plans? Maybe get a North Hills to Downtown South CAC instead if we don’t have the numbers?

2 Likes

I got an email summary from Nextdoor. Oof! Toxic.

Oh god, please do share… if only for a good laugh!

1 Like